Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Windshield Frame

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BluThndr71JMMY, Mar 8, 2001.

1. BluThndr71JMMY

BluThndr71JMMY 1/2 ton status

Does anyone have any ideas about how to correct the rusted corner on my upper right windshield frame? I can get two fingers thru the inside hole behind the sunvisor and I see bubbles on the outside at the pass/side pillar-header joint! Aftermarket pre-fab corner extrusion kits are what I dream about. But I think the only real-world solution is to cut out a solid windshield frame off at the pillars and have some bodywork expert weld it on. I'd have to buy a donor K/5 that had an intact windshield frame but that's prohibitive moneywise besides being rare.
    This problem kind of hangs up my plans to pull my cracked, leaking windshield and install a new shaded windshield w/fresh rubber and restore the original custom chrome trim ring.
    Any suggestions?
    BTW it's great to hobnob with brother wizards of the 69/72 ilk!

2. kilomanjaro

kilomanjaro 1/2 ton status

rust free windshield frames are hard to come by, i found one in a yard, but it is aleady sold. the best advice that i can give is become a junkyard rat. maybe you will get lucky:)
    kilomanjaro

3. BluThndr71JMMY

BluThndr71JMMY 1/2 ton status

Brother, I've been a junkyard rat since I got my first Chevy truck. Back in the bad ol' days, before Golden State, Brothers, LMC etc. came on the scene, that was the only logistics route for some parts. Dealers were funny about selling older model parts or real spendy. Hoping you'd buy a new one if it was too much hassle to maintain the old. (I got suspicious when some dude in white loafers wanted to give me twice what I paid for my rig in trade-in value on a new rig.) Now they are underselling some of the aftermarket houses as they realize their old inventory is of value to nuts like us. Case in point: I bought a wiper Knob from one of the above A/M houses for $12.95. It was stock GM. Also the plastic threads for the set screw were stripped out. I pealed the aftermarket company's label off the bag and came up with a 7-digit GM p/n. I went to my local Chevy dealer and he had one for 8 bucks and change. Not defective. I returned the other knob for credit on my next order and everybody's happy.
    My problem is all the good junkyards have been fished out or developed into condos strip malls or office spaces and now days you need to have your personal assistant make an appointment with a recycling counselor for a guided tour of their resto-theme park. Pull your own part? Horrors, Sir -- you could get injured or worse, your hands might get dirty!
    Good fenders used to be $25, hood hinges $10 each.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by BluThndr71Jmmy on 03/09/01 01:14 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

4. kilomanjaro

kilomanjaro 1/2 ton status

AMEN!!! The world is going to hell in a handbasket. at least as far as junk yards go. there used to be a yard out here where i live that i always liked to go to. it was monsterous, tons of 67-72 parts. last year i went out one time and asked to just look around. the old guy said i couldn't because he lost his insureance and the new insurance he got would not let anyone go into the yard. It just went downhill from there, about 3 months ago, the EPA shut him down and scraped the whole yard. Out here in kansas there are still a few good old yards hiding in remote corners of the state from the EPA. I still find a new one every now and then. take it easy
    kilomanjaro

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

The EPA is a bunch of bastards !!!!!

Sorry I couldnt resist......just what I think.