Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Windshield Frame

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ryan B., Sep 23, 2001.

1. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

So my '72 K/5 has some rust in the middle of the windshield frame. We're talkin' a 10- 12 inch long section.
    I bought a nice 100% rust free windshield frame, cut off at the bottom of the A pillars,
    and I want to cut out the middle of my rusted windshield frame and section in the new one.
    There's a little bit of bubbling rust not even the size of a dime on one side a little further out then where the factory welds are on the windshield frame. I think it would be easiest to cut it right where the factory welds are, and without weakening the structural support of the frame.
    Not sure if I want to only cut the middle out, or all the way over to that other rust spot, and then section the new piece in.

I know somebody here has done this before. Anyone care to give some advice?
    I don't know if I want to attack this myself or do some reasearch and find the best bodyshop around, and pay 'em to do it.

Ryan

2. Crushergmc

Crushergmc 1/2 ton status

I cut mine about 1/2 way down the pillers. You can only see 75% of the rust if your lucky so don't take chances. Measure from every direction a couple of times (If this takes less than 5 minutes, do it all again and again and again!). Make a sketch of it and write down the measurements. You can also make a jig along the pillars. Make sure it fits perfect at the corners then tack it onto the frame. Good Luck.

"KEEP IT DOWN"
    70 Jimmy, 454, 2wd
    56 GMC, Big Window

3. dr1553

dr1553 Registered Member

Ryan,

Where did you find a rust free windshield frame? I need one also. The rust on mine is around the top corners of the windshield.

Later,
    David

4. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I got my windshield frame frome a guy named Highway devil. He's on this message board. By chance he found a good rust free parting out K/5 and so he cut off the windshield frame and sold it to me. If your lucky you might find someone around here that has one to part with.

Anyone else care to shed some light on this subject...
    I could have sworn some guy from the old Blazer-Net.com message board had some pic's of replacing a section of the windshield frame, and maybe a small write up of what he did?

5. JoshA

JoshA 1/2 ton status

that'd be me. I cut mine at the factory welds at the top corners. my body guy was a gm body guy through the '70's and he said that if you can avoid it you shouldn't cut the A pillars because it will hurt structural integrity.

also, before you cut it you want to measure diagonally top left to bottom right corner and vis/versa so that when you weld in the new piece you can make sure you get it square again. if you don't you won't be able to put the windshield back in.

if you want some pics I'm sure I can get them to you.

-Josh

'72 blazer 9" lift YOKO mudders 35x12.50 350/sm465/3.73 UTAH