Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

windshield install tips

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 79cheyenneblazer, Oct 18, 2005.

1. 79cheyenneblazer

79cheyenneblazer Registered Member

Need to install the windshield with new rubber, quick question. Does it install the same as the back window? Do you need to put any type of sealant on it? I'm helpin a friend so us two should be able to handle it. Any help or tips will be greatly appreciated!!!!! :D

2. monster man

monster man 1/2 ton status

it goes in nice and easy- much more so than the rear. You take your seal and stick it in around the lip in the cab, then put the shield in, then the "locking" flap on the rubber goes together, inside of itself sort of like a zipper. I suggest using a bit of sealant just for good measure. And DON'T use any sharp tipped tools like a screwdriver. Find something light that won't chip a windshield, like a putty knife or smoething for pushing the locking lip into itself all the way around. I dropped a screwdriver on my freshly painted hood when i did one, and chipped the shield another time :doah:

3. 79cheyenneblazer

79cheyenneblazer Registered Member

we got out the new seal, layed it out, and even compared it to another truck. We were sorta stumped. We figure the really tight groove goes on the press weld lip in the cab, but they is a fat groove and then there is like a Y almost with flaps, we were confuzed as to which goes where. We both felt dumb looking at it and not figuring it out, and it doesn't have the trim in it either.

4. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

When I got my window gasket, the part where the window goes was folded back. It was almost 180 degrees making it seem like it was not supposed to be moved, but it was for ease of installation. There should be a edge on the gasket with a small gap, put that on the flange of the cab opening, be sure to face the folded back part (I mentioned before) out. The folded back part had ribs in it to seal to the windshield better on mine. Then get the windshield in. To insert the locking strip, fold over the flap onto the windshield, leaving a gap on the other side of it for the strip. If you take some soap & water to lube the strip (like mounting a tire) and use a small box end wrench (3/8" I think) that just barely fits over the locking strip it will make your life MUCH EASIER. Just push the locking strip through the box end of the wrench, push the wrench into the groove, hold the strip and push the wrench around the perimeter of the windshield. It will let the strip slide through the box end of the wrench, and the wrench itself will hold the groove open long enough for the strip to fit in and lock in place. I tried for an hour before I tried this way, then it took me 5 minutes!

5. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

Sweet. I have a shield for my rig sitting in my basement and have been putting off changing out my busted one. The wrench idea sounds good. Might have to try it this weekend. I did a lot of swearing trying to get the rear side windows locking strips in. I will have to try your wrench idea.