Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Windshield install tips?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rolled, Jun 24, 2002.

1. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

Hi everybody

I am going to put in a new windshield in my 87 K5. I have never done one quite like this one. The rubber trim it goes in looks like a tight fit an I don't want to break it forcing it in.

Should I take off the trim, install the window in it then put it all back on or should I leave in the trim and lube it up and gently force it in place?

Anybody have any good tips or suggestions to help me out?

2. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

there are two possibilities for this. on some seals the trim "bead strip" is used to lock the windshield in place. to install it you remove the bead, this allows the needed space to stretch the seal as you install the glass. this is done with the windshield seal in place on the truck. after you get the windshield in, reinstall the trim strip to lock the glass in place.
    the second method requires two people, lay the windshield face down, stretch the seal around it as it will go in the truck. starting at the bottom center put a small rope in the groove where the windshield seal fits the lip on the body, go completely around the groove with the rope meeting the two ends at the center of the windshield. set the windshield in place putting the bottom lip in the groove. with one person outside applying pressure to the glass, the second person goes inside and pulls the rope which pulls the seal over the lip in the body, go slowly completely around and it will pull it right into place.