Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Windshield Installation

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Zack, Mar 19, 2000.

1. Zack

Zack 1/2 ton status

Hey guys I went to install my new windshield with my dad and we got really frustrated. He said he would pay to get it installed cause we were either gonna break it or kill each other!!! Well so how much should I expect (acutally he) to get a windshield professionally installed?

Zack Carlson
    new email ZCarlson@yahoo.com

No I am still not done with my frame up resto!! Soon i swear!

2. Blazerbob

Blazerbob 1/2 ton status

You shouldn't pay more than $75. Check my website in my profile for the Diamond glass shop closest to you and give them a call. If you have the old one out it should be cheaper.Don't take the gasket off if you don't have to. The secret to getting the new one in is to soak the gasket with silicone spray or soapy water then set the bottom into the rubber and work in the sides with a tool we call a fiber stick (plastic stick). Let me know if you have any questions and keep me posted.
    P.S. If you were in western NY I would do it for you.I could do a replacement for $100 for everything.
    <font color=blue>Blazerbob</font color=blue>[​IMG]

3. fredd

fredd 1/2 ton status

Simplest way is running a thin rope/wire in the channel and pull if from the inside.
    Takes about max 15 minutes to install a windshield that way.

fredd

4. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I just had mine installed Friday . The whole job for winshield and chrome lock strips was $250.00 . One thing a shop might want you to do is sign a release to install it unless you take it too the place you bought it . If it's used they will require you too sign a relaese because it could have a rock chip that could crack will installing .

5. 82K5

82K5 1/2 ton status

when i replaced my windshield in my '83 scottsdale-which i think is the same as a blazer-i paid 90 bucks for the new glass with the antenna in it and 40 bucks to have it put in. the guy who put it in worked mon-fri at an auto glass shop. we did it at his house on saturday. i highly recommend a lacing tool to put the lace in. you can buy the lacing at a dealer in black or chrome. 'bout 20 bucks. you should go ahead and get that too. your old lacing might come apart when you pull it out. a week after i put the new windshield in a drunk totalled out my truck in a strip mall parking lot. driving a ford!

Phil
    82K5