Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

windshield post and dash rust

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sponsoredbydad, Mar 12, 2004.

1. sponsoredbydad

sponsoredbydad Dune Slaying Sand Junkie Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i need help on how to remove my windshield posts and dash its all spot welded seams and how far doun the posts can i cut or do i need to remove the whole post. they seem to be conectet to the fire wall and the dash via welds /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

2. pmedal

pmedal Newbie

I am learning a very expensive lesson. Don't buy a MN blazer. My 72 blazer windshield posts and top are completely rusted through all the way around I will have to replace or replicate a complete piece. Not to mention the rest of this bucket. I am having a hard time locating a replacement, any suggestions would be appreciated /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

3. Robin

Robin 1/2 ton status

You know if you've never had a 1st gen before this is probably the most overlooked area, and it's the hardest to replace. I haven't seen a replacement part for this and there is nothing you can use from the truck above the windshield.

I just recently noticed the rust holes in mine, which explained the river of water that ran down the posts when it rained. I've spent the last 3 months replacing rusted sections and welding thin areas. Then all the heat I applied caused warping , so I had to redo some sections.

It never approached how I wanted it to (with custom pieces welded in) and I wished that I could have replaced the whole header, with the amount of effort I put into patching the original. I'm on to smoothing/filling...

Someone creative could probably come up with a solution that mates a drip-rail section cut out of a truck and a tube windsheild header that the top seals against. Would also have to mount:
    - top/sun visor brackets
    - mirror

On cutting the posts, I would leave as much of the original as possible.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

you have to cut off and replace the w/s frame with a clean one if you can find one, i cut one off a 72 k5 i had for parts once aand mailed it to someone who needed a good one not full of holes, it was the one and only part on the entire thing that was not horribly rotted gone away

good luck

5. pmedal

pmedal Newbie

Robin,
    Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking that I will weld small sections at a time, to replicate the piece (trying to save anything salvagable) /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif All the while scouring planet Earth for any type of replacement.

6. 70k5b

70k5b Registered Member

I had the same trouble on my 70,i bought the inner cab roof repair panel for a 69-71 truck and my body man is working to make that work,

good luck on finding one

7. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

i want to say there was one on 67-72chevytrucks.com they pop up there from time to time.

69k5