Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

windshield removal

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by k5kraze, May 19, 2000.

1. k5kraze

k5kraze Registered Member

Has anybody ever removed their windshield WITHOUT BREAKING it?
    Are there any special tricks/tools other than press it out from the inside?
    I want to repair some rust holes near the wipers/windshield frame of my 78 K5, and unfortunately
    it seems that the some rust hides under the window rubber, too.
    A new windshield would cost me about 400 us-$ here in Austria (thanks to our "rock-solid" euro
    and the oh-so-good euro/dollar exchange rate), so I would appreciate any help on how to avoid
    breaking it.
    Thanks in advance!

2. 83K5

83K5 Registered Member

Remove the lock strip . That's the tiny round piece in the groove of the window gasket . Then take a plastic pick (Found in LMC catalog ) and gently slide it between window and gasket . While sliding tool pull on window towards you being careful not to pull to hard . Use even pressure while doing this . Also use window cleaner or some other lubricant on the gasket this will let the window and tool work easier . Don't use a metal tool !! If window has any chips in it the tool hits and may crack window .If you have any rock chips in the glass they could cause it to crack also. JUST BE SLOW AND CAREFUL !!!!! Hope this helps and GOOD LUCK !!!

3. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Also you there is a special tool made for putting the lock strip back in, don't remember what it's called or where you can get one, some help I am ;) But I've never put a lockstrip back in without this, and I'm not sure how big of a job it would be unless you use the tool.

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Cut the seal and get a new one. As old as your truck is that seal is hard as a rock and If you don't break the window removing it you may break it trying to put it back in. The reason you got rust there is the seal is leaking at the top of the windsheild.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper

5. Blazerbob

Blazerbob 1/2 ton status

The easiest way would be to do as Grim says and cut the gasket and replace it. If not, take the lock strip out then run a plastic stick tool around rubber to loosen it from w/s. Also dont forget to disconnect antenna if it is in the w/s. Then use the palm of your hand (with a glove on) and apply even pressure to the top of the shield until it pops out. Start in the corner then work your way across. You will be able to see it popping out so be careful to let up on it once it pops and move across. The only problems you might have would be if the w/s is chipped or if someone previously sealed it. Let me know if anymore questions.

<font color=blue>Blazerbob</font color=blue>[​IMG]

6. k5kraze

k5kraze Registered Member

Thanks to everyone for your help!
    I got it out this weekend and got rid of the rust.
    You can guess my next question:
    What is the best way to get the windshield back in (i bought a new gasket)???

7. Balou

Balou 1/2 ton status

Guess you don't have that LMC tool.
    Sorry to go on in german guys..., einen nicht zu dünnen Draht in die Nut einsetzen, eine Seite der Scheibe von Außen ansetzen und dann langsam und vorsichtig den Gummi mit dem Draht über die Scheibe ziehen. Vorher den neuen Gummi mit Talkum (Olivenöl geht auch) einschmieren.

Balou
    '79 K5,350,465,205
    [​IMG]"Size DOES matter!!!" said the girl last night [​IMG]

8. Balou

Balou 1/2 ton status

where the hell is Wulkaprodersdorf ???

Balou
    '79 K5,350,465,205

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

hahaha. Well put the seal on the windsheild first. Take a peice of 1/4 cord (clothes line) and wrap it in the grove so that the gap is at the bottom. Set the windsheild in the groove at the bottom and lean it as far into place as it will go with out putting alot of leverage on the glass. Then pull the cord slowly and it will flip the lip of the seal over as it comes out and pull the windsheild in. Once you get the bottom started some light pressure will be needed as you work your way up the sides. Work a few inches and the alternate to the other side. Some dish soap on the seal will help lubricate it so it pops in easier. Just take your time and when your applying pressure, palm of the hand only. Once you get the upper corners in the top will come in fairly easy. Then give some pressure around the edges and make sure it as full seated. Last one I did the lip didn't pop in fully and I had to take a hook tool and work my way around the inside to get it to seat.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper

10. Balou

Balou 1/2 ton status

hehehehehe, thats fairly the same I said, just prefer olive oil instead of dish soap, looks like I do the cooking and you do the washing-up !!!
    Any idea what my second obsession is ???

Balou
    '79 K5,350,465,205

11. MuleMaster

MuleMaster 1/2 ton status

Wulkaprodersdorf is in Burgenland, Austria, approx. 70km from Vienna Airport.
    Aber was zum Teufel hat das mit dem Windschutzscheiben aus- und einbauen zu tun? [​IMG]

MuleMaster

Chevy Truck - Like A Rock!
    <font color=blue>http://www.geocities.com/projectmule/</font color=blue>