Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Windshield Repaced

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fireplug, May 19, 2005.

1. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

This came up not too long ago so I figured I'd post up. I replace my windshield today on my '89 Burb. My first time and I'll never pay someone to do it again. Slow but very easy even without the right tools. Dish soap and a couple of butter knives did the trick. I pulled out the windshield and the rear side glass and sanded and POR 15'd the metal underneath.

2. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

i need to do this soon, where did you start? got any pics?

3. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

A write up would be great! I've taken windshields out before, but with less than gentle methods. I'd like to know how to do it the right way, without the right tools.

Kris

4. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

I'll quickly describe what I did and I'll do a write up with pics soon.

I first removed the metal clip at the bottom of the windshield. That exposes the ends of the rubber 'bead'. Pull the bead out carefully from around the perimeter of the rubber seal. My buddy stayed outside the truck and pulled the lip of the rubber away from the glass while I pushed from the inside. Steady but firm pressure starting in the top corner and working towards the middle. By the time you get that much of the glass free it will practically pop out. Mine was cracked and got worse removing it. I've heard that the glass commonly cracks while removing so keep that in mind.

The main rubber seal doesn't even need to be removed from the metal frame. Replace the new glass into position. Now it gets tedious. I started in the same corner and lubed up the rubber with dish soap. Apply even, firm pressure to the glass while using the dull side of the butter knife to pull the rubber lip over the glass. Wear work gloves because the soap will make it difficult to grip the knife, and even a butter knife will cut skin. At first the lip won't pull right over the new glass rather just sit on the edge. I know this doesn't make any sense without pics but with your truck in front of you it will. As you progress around the perimeter of the windshield with a little pressure the glass will pop into place. Slow but it will work.

Next you have to replace the rubber 'bead'. Again lube both pieces with soap, and start at the middle bottom of the windshield. The rubber 'bead' has a slight lip on either side of it. Place the lower lip into the seal and use the butter knife to push the other lip into the seal. This is actually pretty easy. Now I didn't put any effort into stretching the bead as I worked it into the the seal so I ended up with a gap between the two ends. This shouldn't affect the performance of the seal at all, but if you stretch it as you go you will end up with a professional looking job. Finish off by covering the slight gap with the metal clip. I'll probably grab a section of bead from the wreckers and cut it to fit the gap with an extra metal clip. Lastly wash the soap off. It probably took me and my buddy the better part of an hour to do it and that included figuring out how to do so. Even just with these instructions it should cut the time down considerably. Good luck. I'll post pics as soon as I can.