Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Windshield Seal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chris12, Sep 6, 2006.

1. chris12

chris12 1/2 ton status

Forest Ontario, 1/4 hr from Port Huron Michigan
    Well on my 88 i need to replace the windshield. Now iv read that i can save the old seal. But how. and when i put the new windsheild in do i need to use some windsheild adhesive then put the windsheild then put the seal back on. What holds the windsheild in place.

2. chris12

chris12 1/2 ton status

anybody that can help me out would be appreciated..

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

easy to do. if you have the 2 peice gasket style.

center strip pushes all gasket tight to body and glass.

remove the center strip. pup up at the lower section in the center if window. remove the cover clip.

then take a hard platic flat blade and run between the glass and gasket . at the same time water with lots of dish soap mixed. no more than 1 tspoon if in qrt spray bottle.

then do the same as above in the inside.

then push slowly at top corner and work the glass out at the same time. as it comes out keep pushing out.

then remove glass and toss away if bad.

remove gasket and clean all up no dirt or glass on truck side and window side. check truck frame for rust or dirt. clean and fix.

then small amount of soapy water to outer section and install to frame of truck cab.

soap up the inner section and set new glass in lower portion and lean back to the rest of the channel. work all of it in till fully seated in gasket.

soap up the center strip channel and start at the same lower middle section and work around completly with out streaching it to bad. as it will shring back some and if you cut off extra it will leave a gap. when done install cover clip.

should be good to go. best to do on a hot day so rubber gasket and strip move the best.

dawn blue dish soap works the best with tires for leaks and glass work.

if you have the 1 peice gasket most still aplyes but no center srip and harder to remove and install glass.

thay do make a center strip install tool. but it can be done with out. just takes longer.

4. chris12

chris12 1/2 ton status

Alrighty thank you i will be attepting this tomorrow after school. I will let you know how it goes.

5. sweetk30

take your time and go slow. its easyer than it sounds and looks.

6. AuH2O

AuH2O 1/2 ton status

Old thread, but since it applies to what I'm wondering...

That center strip, is it just a simple pull-out affair? Remove the cover clip and pull, and that's it? No adhesive or anything on it? And likewise for the side windows on the hardtop?

Who makes a center strip install tool? Where can I get one? And without one, is it just pushed back into the groove same way it came out and you're ready to go? Would some silicone lubrication help slip it in place, or should I refrain from any chemicals?

7. sweetk30

pull the clip and pull the strip out.

reinstall goes much easyer with tool. but it can be done with out. body shop supply house can prob get you one. or look on tool trucks.

just water and blue dawn dish soap works best. glass pros and i both agree.

8. AuH2O

AuH2O 1/2 ton status

Alright, thanks.

So it's a generic tool and not GM specific? Is there a pic of one anywhere so I can get some kind of clue what we're talking about? If I go enquire in a shop, what should I ask for? Would they be clueless if I simply asked for a "center strip installation tool"?

9. sweetk30

even better for ya .

plastic spoons for fine work. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Windshield-Stick-Glass-Tools-New_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ10076QQihZ016QQitemZ260157649281QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

and i hate mac tools but here ya go http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-MAC-TOOLS-WINDSHIELD-STRIP-WLT4700A-RED-COMFORT_W0QQitemZ330161863794QQihZ014QQcategoryZ29527QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

he said removal in listing but its actualy for install. find the 1 of 4 holes that fits the shape of center strip best. then feed it in the hole and zip it back in. if need be i can take a few pics for ya.

10. BGKYK5

BGKYK5 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

What are the chances of getting a cracked windshield out in one piece? Both my K5s have cracked widshields but the one in my project truck is much worse than the one in my parts truck. Is it feasible to swap them?

11. sweetk30

you have to push and pull a little any way you look at it. so no its not worth it. new are under 150 with tint bar and glass radio antena.

12. AuH2O

AuH2O 1/2 ton status

Thanks, I got me one of them Mac tools... :D

But GM has/had a specific tool too; "J 2189-02". I found this flipping through an old service manual, where I also learned that the center strip is called "reveal molding" in GM speak:

09092007245.jpg

13. Tominator II

Tominator II 1/2 ton status

Soaking the big seal in hot water for a while before you start makes it easier to work with also.