Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Windshield Trim

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NuBombs72K5, Nov 27, 2001.

1. NuBombs72K5

NuBombs72K5 1/2 ton status

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the chrome trim into a new windshield gasket? The only way I could get the new windshield and gasket in was to put them in without the chrome. Any suggestions on how to put the chrome trim back in would be much appreciated.

2. kilomanjaro

kilomanjaro 1/2 ton status

the only way to get it in is to do it before the windshield is installed, then there is a channel that it slips right into. do you have the correct windshield gasket?
    kilomanjaro

3. NuBombs72K5

The gasket is correct. It has the channel for the chrome, but after several attempts at trying to put all in at once, we decided that we had to put it in without. In the LMC catalog they have a diagram of installing the windshield and they say to install the gasket first and then the windshield. However, they don't mention the chrome trim. Right now i've got some home-made spacers seperating the channel. I'm just waiting for a sunny day for the gasket to loosen up and I plan on lubing up the channel with gojo and wd40 and pop it in.

4. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

NuBomb,
    You've got me curious. I currently do not have a windshield and it is very windy when I drive. HeHe. I smashed the original 30 year old brittle windshield while re-installing it , so am a little hesitant about trying it again. I was using the technique where you put the gasket on the windshield and then wrap a cord around it . You pull the cord out from around the glass which pulls the gasket lip over the frame of the opening. But , you mentioned putting in the gasket first and then the windshield. How did you do it this way? Thanks, JT

5. BARRAZA

BARRAZA 1/2 ton status

Be aware that there are two different types of chrome that take different gaskets. I tried to put the shallow trim in the deep groove gasket after it was in the truck and it is impossible. If I remember correctly, LMC sends the gasket with the deep groove, they don't list a shallow one. The grooved gasket will not seal without the trim in it to fill it out. Windshield shops can get the right gasket if they know what they are doing, the one they got for me looked a lot better than the LMC gasket. Also, the shop that did mine said they always put the trim in the gasket, then the gasket on the glass, then install it all together in the truck.

6. NuBombs72K5

Sorry about reviving an old topic, but I just changed over to a cable modem and I've been without the internet for a couple of weeks. It was almost impossible to put the whole thing in together. We originally tried the usual rope method, but the chrome would not stay in the channel and the windshield was in a pretty bad strain. Last weekend we finally put the chrome into the gasket. It was a real pain and took a while, but we finally got it in. The way we did it was probably not the right way, but it is in and everything is fine. I would probably take it to a professional if I had to do it again, but I got the new windshield for $100 and a GM gasket for $90 and I had the help of some experienced friends.