Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

windshield wiper controls

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazin_blazer, Mar 19, 2007.

1. blazin_blazer

blazin_blazer 1/2 ton status

i got an intermitent wiper control w/ the rotating knob for the speed of the wipers out of an 84 2wd. it has another electrical box on a pigtail, inline to the switch. this is where the wiring harness plugs into.
    my question is, will my 80 model k5 (straight on/off 2 speed wiper switch) have the right connector to just swap out with the intermitent switch?:confused:

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

It should, don't believe that wiring changed until '84-ish, when the delay moved to the column.

Better question is, will it fit without hacking up your dash? 1980 was a transition year, if it has the newer style gauge bezel, it will work. If it's the older style, you'll have to cut, as the switch is in a slightly different location.

3. blazin_blazer

good info...thanks! i believe i have the newer bezel, but i was wanting to swap it with 1 i have out of a 78 that had no a/c and has the cubby where the a/c vent usually is, but you say the older bezel isn't a simple bolt on swap?
    the cubby hole bezels from non a/c trucks are hard to find. so the controls moved enuff to complicate this? if so, does it look like a hackjob once made to fit? if so, i guess i need to find a newer model bezel with the cubby to make it look right?jeez, did i mention they are hard to find around here!

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

On the older trucks I've seen this done to, yes it looks like a hack. The spot where the stock older switch sits is (IIRC) up and to the right maybe half an inch from where the new switch sits. The bezel has the horizontal cutout for the switch to move left to right. The newer switch puts the post for the wiper into the bezel down and to the left, so you end up hacking the bezel up to make the newer one fit.

I'm not even sure if the two switches bolt in exactly the same and the post that you move changed positions, or if the switches actually bolt into slightly different places. If slightly different places, you could probably make a bracket and cut a small portion of the dash metal out, which you wouldn't see with the bezel in place.

I believe delay was an option even for the earlier trucks, (so different switch) but really need to know if some or all of the '80 bezels are like the '81+, or like most everything else that broke down '73-80.

5. blazin_blazer

i will look at these closer, before i try and swap stuff....thanks