Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Windshield wiper delay switch

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chevyfumes, Oct 24, 2001.

1. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Does anyone know if 74's came with a delay switch, I have slow/fast/push in washer fluid, and it looks like there is an empty space above that switch that seems to have some sort of ribbon contact, like maybe I'm missing a sliding nob. Any suggestions?

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I don't think so. I don't think delay wipers came along in K5's until several years later than '74. The factory delay wiper switches that I've seen from the era of the wiper-switch-in-the-dash just had a knob on the switch, that you turned to control the delay. The on-off-delay control was integrated with the delay time knob. It was a rather odd arrangement.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

3. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

If you were looking for intermitant wipers you can get delay box type units that just slice into the existing wiring. I bet JC Whitney or maybe even the locak CSK/Pepboys has something like that.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I was going to do that if I couldn't find out what that hole is(its about 5/16 X1" 1/2) its is right above the wiper switch. If nothing else someone has to know what went there originally.Like I said before there is some sort of ribbon contact in there and something is missing from in front of it, I thought it might be a sliding nob that would control the wipers any other thoughts ....

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

5. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

My '74 had a Fiberoptic ribbon going from a light bulb in the instrument package over to the graphic above the switch that says "wipers". That's what made it visable at night. Other than that no extra holes....
    I am in the process of adding the later model delay switch and wiper motor....I can let ya know how it goes if you're interested.

Michael

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Michael on 10/24/01 07:07 PM.</FONT></P>

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I looked at the dash in my '75 tonight. There isn't a hole above the wiper switch. Sounds like someone may have done a bit of custom crafting on your dashboard. [​IMG]

Also checked a '74 factory service manual that I have and it makes no mention of a delay feature, just lo or hi speed. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...