Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

windshield wiper issues?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by thezentree, Sep 27, 2004.

1. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

i think my windshield wipers are about to make the trip up to that bid windshield in the sky soon. earlier today, i tried to turn them on and got a humming noise from the dash. ive got rain-x, so i just drove home without them, but had it been a heavy rain i wouldnt have been able to see. anyway, when i got home, i checked the fuse, and tried it again. it hummed for half a second and then worked. they havent done that again, but im worried that they will when i need em.

anyway, ive heard that 88-98 trucks have issues with the wiper motors and circuitry. is this an early symptom of problems to come? how hard is it to replace all the innards?

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

This is an easy fix. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

On my '92 I opened the hood and pulled off the wiper motor assemply. Where the plugs went you can open uo revealing the circuit board that runs everything. What happens is the solder joints break loose causing bad connections. Take a soldering iron and redo the main connections. Mine were real obvious and were easy to do.

Mine would not turn on, or they would stay on when I turned them off and stuff like that.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Resoldered the circuit board connections on the wiper assembly on our '94 and the wipers have worked great ever since. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif GM also has a recall on a bunch of their trucks for wiper problems. Your local GM dealer should be able to look up your VIN in their database to see if it's covered under the recall. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If it comes to it, the replacement circuit board is a p/n 12463090. It will be available through any dealer or AC Delco supplier. It is a very common part. I have probably sold a couple hundred of them over the years /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif.

5. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

cool. they havent acted up since then, but i appreciate the info /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

The Chevy dealer fixed mine for free.

7. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

What he said.