Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Windshield wiper upgrades?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JohnSPledg, Jan 27, 2003.

1. JohnSPledg

JohnSPledg 1/2 ton status

Has anyone upgraded their windsheild wiper motors? Mine leave much to be desired. Call me spoiled but I like to be able to see when I am driving in the rain. Here in South Louisiana it rains a lot, usually every afternoon from May to November. To make matters worse, the only offroading we have is mud and a few trails with small hills. Get a little mud on the windsheild and its not coming off unless you get out and wipe it down yourself. Oh well, enough ranting. I figured it is a common enough aggrivation that someone on here was bound to have corrected it on their rigs.

2. JohnSPledg

JohnSPledg 1/2 ton status

Someone has to have done something about this before

3. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

I've replaced the motor a couple times with junkyard units I took apart and cleaned up. I don't have any problem at all in heavy rain. If you can't get the mud off the windshield you can get springs that fit over the wiper arm to hold it tighter to the windshield to provide more pressure. Can probably find them with the wiper blades in the local parts store

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Truck stops carry those springs too. That might be the ticket.

5. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

You can track down a later model washer bottle ('89-'91 I think). They have a self contained pump in the bottom. Rig this up to some spray nozzels and a pushbutton switch to hose off some mud. I have one in my '74.

6. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

No upgrades yet, but living in the PNW (Oregon) means lots of wiper use. So, I will be rebuilding/replacing all the wiper joints, arms, motors, etc... soon. It clicks pretty bad and doesnt appreciate low RPM much. Just one more thing on the list of things to fix. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

-Ryan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif