Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Windshield wiper weirdness...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by AJMBLAZER, Feb 20, 2007.

1. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

The day I bought Big Ugly (back in October of last year) the wipers seemed to work fine. Being a CUCV it only has the three basic settings - off, usually too fast, and better be a downpour. I swear that first day the wipers would return to the down position whenever I turned the switch off. Ever since then they immediately stop when I turn them off, no matter where on the windshield they are. No biggie as I just wait until they're almost down and click them off. Is this normal or a usual issue?

Now all of a sudden my washers are giving me issues. It's been so cold I haven't used them frequently but have a few times a week or so. The truck sat over the weekend and then yesterday on the drive to work the washers wouldn't spray. I was busy so I just sorta ignored it until today. Wouldn't work on the trip to or from work but when I turned the truck off, popped the hood, and then watched while I stood there they suddenly sprayed intermittently as the wipers moved...and didn't stop until I manually turned them off. Now they seem to work.
    Seems like you never pay attention to stuff until it does something weird. Is this normal?

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Neither issue is normal. The wipers should return to rest at the bottom of the windshield and the washer fluid should only be sprayed while you hold the switch.

3. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Can't help you, but my CUCV was stuck to where the spritzers would always run whenever the wipers ran. Annoying. Eventually it fixed itself. My K5 has been in that mode before too. :rolleyes: Oh, and the fast wiper mode on the CUCV only works half the time too.

I don't know what to blame this on. Switch, wiring connections, wiper motor, spritzer pump/motor?

4. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

They kick on by themselves in my K10 sometimes

5. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Don't feel pregnant.. my K5 does he same thing. It has since I bought it. I've been too busy focusing on the build up parts to mess with it. But I'll get around to finding the cause some year.. or another. It's probably something simple.

6. 454k30

454k30 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

This is such a common problem with GM's its rediculous. Its all due to that wiper/washer/weird mechanical combo piece bolted to the firewall. I ended up disabling the pump in that hunk of crap and wired in an electric washer pump that works with the stock switch. I can post pics if you would like them. PM me and let me know!

7. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

My wipers do that too. Its wicked annoying! They did it since I got my truck then they worked as their supposed to for like a year, and ever since the last time I dug into the dash they now do it again.

8. UPS

UPS 1/2 ton status

There is a set of points in the wiper motor mounted on the firewall this is what makes them stop at the bottom. There is also a cam on one of the gears which makes the points open and close. IIRC. The points break the power to the wiper motor. All of this is under the black cover on the wiper motor.
    Make sure the contacts of the points are clean.

Hope this helps,
    Mike

9. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

i thought i was the only one with this....no idea how to fix it thow

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

This is only a problem on the "early" rigs. Somewhere around '84-85 they put the pump in the washer bottle. Problem solved.

Good upgrade.

11. 454k30

454k30 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

ya thats basically what I did. not in the bottle but mounted to the fender wall. works a lot better.

12. AJMBLAZER

Mine should be a '86 but there's no pump in the bottle.

Gotta love it...

13. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Mine's an 85 and has the pump in the bottle :confused:

14. AJMBLAZER

Seems to work about the same as always today...sleeping dogs lay...

Who knows, maybe GM used up old parts when they built the CUCV's.

15. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

I wanna know how you have too fast of wipers, if its misting mine better be on low, none of this intermittent crap, if its a light rain they better be on high, and if its a moderate to heavy rain, find an overpass, put on a pair of goggles, spray rain-x all over them, and stick your head out the window.

16. AJMBLAZER

On the highest setting mine seem to just whumpwhumpwhumpwhump across the windshield. I guess years of driving 1990's and newer vehicles have spoiled me a bit.

Also consider right now it's winter here. You get crap thrown on your windshield every day that is indeed wet but is also not coming at you like rain. It'd be great to have the first intermittent setting and just have them come on every 30 seconds or so...instead of smearing everything on the windshield continuously.

17. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Mine does the same thing....

Never bothered me in SoCal but now that I am in MS I really need to fix it.