Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Windshield wipers, yes I still use them

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DwarF, Dec 18, 2005.

1. DwarF

DwarF 1/2 ton status

I have done a new wiring job using Painless' wiring harness. I just hooked up my wipers yesterday to find that they are not behaving quite right. Most of the time, they turn on when I crank the engine (or turn the key on). If I jimmy the switch, I can sometimes get them to turn off. I have an 83, so it has the intermittent switch, and some sort of control module hooked up to it. I have also tried another used switch and control module from a friends k5 (same year) which has the same behavior.

My friend seems to think that the problem is in the motor, but I would think that the switch would simply remove power when it is "off". All other speeds, etc work fine, just can't get the dadgum thing to turn off.

If anyone has a good suggestion as to how to get this thing to turn off, I would be much obliged.

Thanks

2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

'83, they have the switch on the dash right, not on the column? I think '84 was first year for switch on the column.

If it's the switch in the dash, I believe everything is container in the switch box itself. Those dash intermittent switches went bad alot. COuld be just a bad switch.
    Anyhow, sounds like the wiring isnt' right somewhere. Check the diagrams on http://brochures.slosh.com (wiring link on left) for your year. Should give you enough to troubleshoot directly certain components.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Mines got a ghost...

There is a set of "points" inside the wiper motor/washer switch that can corrode and make them fail to stop,or "Park" in the right position(at the bottom of the windshield)..I'm going to try cleaning mine in my 79 C10..and maybe add a ground strap from the wiper motor to the body..

My 79 C10 has those pesky "delay" wipers too.."Lo" and "Hi" work fine,but delay works only if it feels like it..and sometimes when its "off",the wipers will come on and make one or two passes by themselves,then shut off again..:eek1: ..I suspect a bad ground,or maybe its that delay module..but try and find a 79 in the boneyard with delay wipers factory..its easier to find 40 year old virgins...:rolleyes: ...I'm glad they work fine on the other 2 speeds!..:crazy:

4. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I constantly had problems with my switch... now that I put a 1985 column in my truck... got high beams and wipers on the column.. LOVE IT.. and since you are doing a re-wire... and it is almost a direct plug in... you could look at doin the column swap... i love it.... no more reaching for wipers and foot for high beams....

if ya do it.. lemme know and I can help ya... :bow: