Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

windshields

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by alf4444, May 17, 2006.

1. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

Anyone ever replaced one theirselves? any tips tricks problems??

2. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Not too difficult to do yourself, much easier with a helper. Mever let metal contact the windshield and you should be ok. I put a crack right down the middle of the last windshield I installed. The flatblade screwdriver slipped off the putty knife and chip... it soon cracked straight down the middle. Good luck. More tips- use lots of soap and water to help the gasket slip over frame/windshield.

3. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

I recently installed rear sliding windows in place of my solid ones. Even with a helper, it was definaly fustrating. I could only imagine how much more difficult a windshield would be. I will tell you I don't think that I want to find out and I will be calling the glass dude for that.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you've already got the glass, go for it.

If you are trying to save $20-40 by getting glass yourself and installing it, call a pro. :)

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I did mine myself,,,very easy, the old one being all cracked and whatever, i simply removed the zipper strip, and sat in the drivers seat with the feet on the windshield, and just pushed out the old one. Yeah it broke even more, but why care, just have a friend with you on the outside to help with catching the old one, and make sure to wear gloves. Some very small pieces fell on the dashboard, but no biggie,,,

Cleaned everything up, put the gasket around the frame of the truck, dropped in the windshield, used some soapy water solution, sprayed all around, and worked the rest of the gasket into place,,

The fun part is reinstalling the little rubber zipper piece.:D