Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Windstar Fan Q's (I searched)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Elevator Man, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Elevator Man

Elevator Man 1/2 ton status

I only found one picture of this windstar setup. I found one off of a 1995, is this the right one? Please post pics if possible. I want to wire it with a switch in the cab and a relay, I'm not going to use a temp switch. THANX

2. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

http://users.adelphia.net/~bcnelson/truck/electricfans.html

Thats the write-up I followed, its by or2play on here, click on the pic of the wiring diagram for a better view

For no temp switch, just leave off that thing, and have a switch that you open to shut down the fans...

or you could wire the "ignition power" to a switch, and hardwire the ground's on the relays

3. Elevator Man

Thats what I found in my search, thaks for the help I was hoping someone had a little more detailed description? (I'm kinda slow:crazy: )

4. Elevator Man

everyone says there is a write up in the tech article section on these fans but I can't find it. please help

5. 01maroonz71

01maroonz71 1/2 ton status

i used dual speed taurus fans, and have a diagram here....i used two relays, one for high, and one for low. it comes on low speed when the ign is on, or truck is running....and comes on high when the a/c is switched on. never had a problem with it and i love it...let me look for the diagram i used. why do you want a switch, if my truck is running hot(hasn't yet) all i have to do is switch the key to run and it will turn the fan on. no biggie!!!!!

6. Elevator Man

All my other stuff in my truck is wired to a switch so it's no big deal to flip one more switch. I just like the control!!!:D

7. 01maroonz71

there's alot of power runnin these fans, so you better have a decent switch....ill PM you once i find the diagram man....

8. Elevator Man

I'm gonna put a relay in the circut, by switch I just meant on/off in the cab!

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you are going to run it all the time, I hope you have a decent alternator as well.

You can run electric fans with a fairly low amp alternator (I'm running duals with a 78A alt) but that's not constant draw, even if charging is lowered when it/they run, it's not for a prolonged period.

I'd *really* advise against running the fan(s) all the time, it leads to early motor failure along with decreased mileage, performance, alternator wear, etc.

10. 01maroonz71

i run mine all the time, but im in FL...and it takes more power to turn my fans on/off than it does to keep it running. im installing a dual battery setup in the next week or two...so im not too worried about it. when the high side comes on(a/c comp) it drops my needle(volts) a tad, but no biggie....

ELEVATOR MAN!!!! ill get you that diagram tomm bro....i have it on my work comp. for sure, so ill PM you tomm with it.

11. Elevator Man

I have a yellow top and a 100amp alt. I wont be running them both all the time I was planing on hooking them up seperate. As long as I do that I should be fine right. I keep a close eye on all my gauges. Do you think it will be safe this way?

12. dyeager535

I don't know if it's safe or not, it depends on how much monitoring you are willing to do, switching it on/off.

You can get temp switches from just about any modern vehicle that will thread into coolant taps in the heads or wherever, it simply makes sense to use one. From my experience, without a heavy load on the engine, the fan only needs to run a minute or so to knock 15*+ off the engine temp.

Not to mention the fact that flow through cooling of the radiator is more effective than fans over a certain speed (assuming good condition cooling system) and your engine is a better judge of that speed than you are. A temp switch for a fan (GM anyways) usually swings about 15* from the on/off temp, that can happen OFTEN depending on driving conditions.

It's really safer to allow a temp switch to handle fan operation, and you monitor the gauges. You could still wire it up with a manual override of course, but that's kind of pointless...if you need the fan off, either turn the engine off, or pull the fuse, if you need it on all the time for whatever reason, ground the temp switch wire. But I can't think of any reason you'd want the fan on all the time (since the switch would do it if the engine was hot enough) and can't think of a common reason to want the fan forced off if the truck is on.

13. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

water crossing

14. dyeager535

Besides that one. :p:

But again, pull the fuse. I guess more complex than a switch, but if the truck is a daily driver and water crossings are far and few between, a manual switch is an unnecessary component.

15. Elevator Man

Thats the thing it's not a dd It's just a play toy/ hunting truck I'm going for the most simple/cheapest route.

16. 01maroonz71

most simple/cheapest is a fan clutch...sorry to rain on your parade. it's the truth though. i did notice a 1MPG gain in city driving in my DD when i did this mod though, and colder a/c thanks to more CFM's. :)

17. mrdrinksalil

mrdrinksalil 1/2 ton status

Hyjack!...

I want to do this Windstar set-up as well.. couple questions..

1) I see that the top of the fan shroud can just bolt under the radiator mounts, but how do you secure the bottom of the fan?

2) Where in the block (SB) should the temp sensor go? And then where does your temp sensor for your gauges go (aftermarket)?

Got another idea of installing an aux. Fuse box under the hood at this time too. Close to the battery. Instead of having inline fuses for all the aux stuff.