Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wing window seal thingy wtf it is...

Discussion in 'Parts & Trucks Wanted' started by ChevyCaGal, Feb 5, 2003.

1. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I need a seal, I suppose that is what it is called for a wing window in the door (not the slider wing on the hard top). It's the little seal that goes around the window itself in the moving part when you open it. Hope that makes sense? Anyhow if someone has one please let me know. I went to the dealer and they want me to buy a whole new frame for like $145 bucks... kinda expensive for a piece of rubber... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

2. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

The Glass Shop that replaced mine just glue it in on mine. I didn't want to pay that much eather....

3. ChevyCaGal

I tried glue but it leaks after a while because it dries out. I tried getting some thin rubber hoses and cutting them flat to size but I cannot find anything that works to make it fit just right. Who knew a little stupid thing like this would be so annoying!

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Have you tried LMC?

5. ChevyCaGal

They don't sell just that little piece of rubber, they want me to buy a whole wing window frame assembly... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

6. K5Dan

K5Dan 1/2 ton status

lmc calls them vent glass seal.they are 19.95 a piece for 81-91. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif it's a 2 piece for the 73-80 rear is 16.95 front is 19.95 hope this helps you

7. ChevyCaGal

Hmmm I'll go without. It's a piece of thin rubber about 16" long and 3/8" wide. I just haven't been able to find anything that is thin enough to use but I will keep trying. But I sure won't pay $20 for that, what a rip off and huge mark up... thanks for looking though, I do appreciate it... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

8. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Try this - clean the rubber real good with bug and tar remover or something like that. Get one a caulking gun and a tube of black silicone for it. Coat the edge of the window with petroleum jelly then use the silicone to build u the seal where the window closes. Close the window onto the silicone when it's still wet, smooth out the all the silicone to make it look nice, then wait for it to dry After it dries open up the window and wipe all of the petroleum jelly off of it. I did this on the safari windows on a freind's VW van and it worked great. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif</font color>

9. K5Dan

K5Dan 1/2 ton status

any time /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Big10

Big10 Registered Member

shaggy, your just to dam handy for your own good /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

good idea

11. jberg62

jberg62 1/2 ton status

If you need vent window weather stripping, I'm selling a brand new set.
    It sounds like you are asking for the rubber that actually holds the vent window glass securely within its frame?
    I'd have to try using a Bicycle inner tube for that...and of course some Ultra Black Silicone to make darn sure that it's weather tight.
    Good Luck with it; I'm sure you'll think of something to use that'll work out just fine.

12. ChevyCaGal

Yup, just the rubber strip that holds the window in the frame, nothing else. I tried to silicone thing and it didn't work so hot. Maybe my second attempt will turn out better...