Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

winsheild question...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Aug 12, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I hear a few people thinking of lexan or something lighter than automotive glass for there windsheild. I was just wondering how hard it would be to duplicate the factory curve on the windsheild, for the lexan piece, or would you have to make a custom frame? thanks!

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

When I worked at a plastics shop when I was 19 or so , I saw the owners son make one on his break times . He at home took and made a plaster mold of his windshield , by laying windshield upside down and putting plaster on it . He then used the oven we had to get the plastic sheets pliable for vacuum forming . You put the sheet in a wooden frame and clamp it down before baking , and remove with mitts . Once the plastic sheet was drooping , he removed from heat , pressed onto mold he had sitting on a stool , let cool , trimmed it , scraped edges with a knife to deburr , used a torch on the edges to make it look like glass . And installed it when he went home /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

yikes! I don't think I'd beable to do that... /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif