Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Winshield replacement

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sandy78, Dec 24, 2003.

1. sandy78

sandy78 Registered Member

This must be really easy because I did a search and didn't turn anything up. But since I've never done it before, how do you get a used one out of a donor truck and then install it in yours? I appreciate any info.

2. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

Very carefully! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Glass gets more brittle with age. The risk is not worth the savings. Have a shop drop one in for under a $100.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

you will need the following items:

round exterior type of phone cable, or similar type cord,.

dish soap or laundry detergent,

and a tube of the black sealer for windshield rubbber from local glass store, its only like 5 bucks a tube'

and one or two extra ppl to help you push and such to get replacement glass installed around the inchweld of windshield cab opening

the cord will pull the inside weatherstripping over the pinch weld all way around, set bottom over pinchweld first and then work your way around from bottom up going to left and to the right with end sof the cord haingin inside of cab at bottom center of windshield

soap will make it all slip easy

take your time

once you have done this you will always know how,

and windshield are harder to break than you think if is in good shape, just dont push in wrong place, if there is any chip anywhere around edge of glass, then it might break easily

4. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

you can get a kit at most auto store w/ fine strong wire and two handles, you force the wire though the weather stiping and atach the two handles then you and a bud pull trying not to snap it, andslise the striping away all the way around after that it will just pull away. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I will second that if the windshield has any chip or crack in it, it almost certainly will break when trying to pull it, or install.

As long as it's not, you should be ok.

6. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

try not to snap it,thats funny. my brother inlaw has a 66 ford pick up he's rebuilding. he found a windshield at a salvage yard.we'll myother brother inlaw(who by the way re-built a bad ass 86 1/2 ton 4x4 chevy) told him he would take it out. the yard said they would. anyway they broke it they bought it. alot of guys around here use piano wire.phone wire sounds safer. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yeah the cord trick is supposed to be great but i have never tried it i just use a box knife with brand new blade and works great if you dont need to save weatehrstripping and are buying new at the store too, they are around 30 bucks new which is worth it if you care about the truck much
    anyone installing or removing a windshield is gambling, no matter if new or used or whatever. just be careful take your time, i can remove even a van fullsize windshield all by myself easily i have great luck with them i have never accidently bropken any windshield except one i dropped inside building cuz it ran into parts when i was carrying it, it was a factory tint 67-72 truck windshield, oops and was the last 67-72 glass i had /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

but ive taken a tons of them out, cars trucks vans everything, soo..

if there was enoguh population and any older trucks and stuff around here and a demand to have glass replaced then id seriously consider starting a glass replacing service, but where i live is dead and no one restores anything and i dont hear much about anyone ever needing glass replaced on older stuff, so.,,. but i would relocate and go in with someone else on starting such a service, if possible, if i had the right attachment for reciprocating saw motor then i could do the later non-weatherstripping type glass replacemment too, but i dont have that right now, or even a reciprocating saw motor either, i have access to some though,. you have to center those windshield with clips after cleaning off bed of glue and applying new and sometimes using brush on primer first. and have to remove interior windshield opening trim moldings too, the attachment works form inside of vehicle all way around windshield, real easy

hum..

good luck

8. boggerless

hell,if yor good i can get you a job tommorow replacing glass. NO SH**T.in michigan. BUT this company might expand,my uncle works there. michigan moble auto glass. call me at work friday if ins. 12-26-03 1-248-353-6343 7.30 am to 4 pm.ask for daryl start with their stuff then build your clientel. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

9. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

A 78 is not a rope in windshield, if you do it that way it sucks. Pull the filler strip that is in the middle of the gasket(looks like a raised rib) That releases the rubber lip of the gasket that holds the glass. Next push old glass out. Set new glass in and lip gasket lip around new glass. Apply sealant between gasket and glass, and reinsert filler strip. Then clean off extra sealant that oozes out.

Don't rope it in. It is harder that way, and those gaskets are not designed to do that.

Besides doing that will probably break the winshield.

67-72 gasket is totally different than a 73-91 gasket

10. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    hell,if yor good i can get you a job tommorow replacing glass. NO SH**T.in michigan. BUT this company might expand,my uncle works there. michigan moble auto glass. call me at work friday if ins. 12-26-03 1-248-353-6343 7.30 am to 4 pm.ask for daryl start with their stuff then build your clientel. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

hum ! very interesting /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif thanks

11. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yeah on gaskets with CSt and such that got the chrome in the weatherstripping you have to take it out of the stripping before removal of said stripping,
    such chrome has been in stripping since at least 67 on the deluxe appearance trucks, 78 is not an oddball year, im not sure what you are trying to say in your reply.

not all of the trucks had this, most dont, roping in a gasket works awesome and is even more awesome using soap to slip the inside lip over pinchweld

12. boggerless

no time limmit,when your ready,bro. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

13. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    yeah on gaskets with CSt and such that got the chrome in the weatherstripping you have to take it out of the stripping before removal of said stripping,
    such chrome has been in stripping since at least 67 on the deluxe appearance trucks, 78 is not an oddball year, im not sure what you are trying to say in your reply.

not all of the trucks had this, most dont, roping in a gasket works awesome and is even more awesome using soap to slip the inside lip over pinchweld

[/ QUOTE ]

What I am saying is how to do it. Hard chromes and filler strips are different.no 73-91(87) came with hard chromes, only plyable rubber fillers, be it chrome plastic covered or black.67-72 came with hard chromes or no molding at all. Rope it if you want, but it isn't designed to do that. Like I said 67-72 and 73-91 are different. no 73-91 is designed to rope in. 67-72 are.

This is the correct way for a 78. I do auto glass for a living.

14. sandy78

sandy78 Registered Member

Thanks for the info. I have seen the chrome plastic strip and wondered what that had to do with the whole thing. So, can you get one you want to save out that way, or is it better to just cut the outer lip of the molding away to get the good one out? Are there any special tools involved with getting the lip around the glass, or reinstalling the plastic filler? Thanks.

15. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

deluxe and std oens are both about same price, the chrome you just simply pull out of the stripping when you are rmeoving it from truck and leave it out until after reinstalled

16. I let the glass guys do it. Cost me a whole $97 bucks and its not some Chinese made glass. Its PPG, had them put a new gasket also for another $30.
    I watched them do it, did not look difficult, but they do so many and faster.
    Mat

17. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I see You've done glass before... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    That Yellow 1/8" thick nylon rope works good too!!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif