Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

winter approaching FI

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tecton, Oct 29, 2003.

1. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

Winter approaching...and ive been giving the switch from carb to fi some serious thought.

How practical of a switch is this? Even just to a stock tbi, mabye find someone who wants to trade. What all will have to come off my truck for it to work?

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

For the swap you will need:
    Complete TBI setup,ECM all sensors and wireing harness.
    TBI distributor. your HEI dist wont work with TBI
    TBI Manifold or adapter plate.
    TBI fuel pump
    Plumb fuel return line back to fuel tank.
    You can get all this stuff off a donor vehicle or buy complete aftermarket kits.
    http://www.turbocity.com
    http://www.howell-efi.com
    These guys sell complete bolt on kits minus the dist for around $1200

3. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

you could just buy a TBI truck for that

1200$!!! damn

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Yep, it ain't cheap! It would be way cheaper to just fix your carb so that the choke works properly. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

5. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

yea, but then you have to deal with its issues: hacked harness, bad sensors, nasty TBI, etc etc. Going new is nice. Going used is kewl too if you have the time to sort thru the harness and sensors.

I have gone both ways. I installed a new EFI system on my BBC, and since then replaced the BBC with a donor '91 350. I had ALL the parts required, and a pretty good harness to work with. It still took me an entire day to sort thru the harness, and eliminate what I didn't need - and I had pretty intimate knowledge of the ECM's harness prior to getting into it.

If you get into the project, be sure to check my site for info on the ECM harness! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Dan

6. kustom71

kustom71 1/2 ton status

you could just buy the Holley complete setup from summit or jegs.Iknow someone who has this on a 305 HO motor with a cam and mild head work and loves it.Im pretty sure he said it came with everything u need!!! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif