Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Winter-driving your Blazer...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by xswede, Aug 11, 2003.

1. xswede

xswede Registered Member

For those of you out there who drive your Blazers daily during the snow covered months:
    Do you constantly travel with 4x4 engaged, or do you only use it in tougher situations?
    Thanks,
    Dan

2. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I used to lock the hubs in and leave it in 2wd. If the need arose, I could put it in 4wd and take care of it. Now, with the locker in the front, I very rarely use 4wd in the snow, at least on my drive to work. Playing around the house is different though /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

My K5 has a NP-203 that is still full-time, so I'd have to say I'm running all 4's. But if I had a NP-205, I'd run in 2wd till it got slick enough to need 4wd.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I ran 4hi most of the time in the good snow. This year was unusually snowy compared to the last few years. For fun I put it in 4 lo and just hammered through the gears(I love an SM465) little kids loved seeing me do that. You can however watch the gas gauge go down literally when I'm in 4wheel.

5. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

I haven't really had a chance to drive the Jimmy in the snow yet, but with my old '78 Bronco with 38" swamper radials (for sale) and a 460 4 spd, i would not use 4wd unledd either forward motion is impossible, or i forsee myself getting into trouble. Greatly improves driving skill as well.

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

during the winter i drive with the front hubs locked then just put it in 4low if needed /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    For those of you out there who drive your Blazers daily during the snow covered months:
    Do you constantly travel with 4x4 engaged, or do you only use it in tougher situations?
    Thanks,
    Dan

[/ QUOTE ]

"Snow covered Months'? hahahahahha We got 6 inches here once. Lasted 3 day's LOL

8. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

winter driving? heh...its easier to drive in the winter here...no rain...LOL

9. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

I generally, cruise around with the hub's in, then if the need arise's, pull the T-Case in gear. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

10. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

.yep, lock the hubs in late november unlock them during a dry spell, or when the snow stops falling /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. xswede

xswede Registered Member

This might sound really corny, but since I'm new to the 4x4 world of Blazers, I excuse myself.
    What do the "hubs" do? Do they give the front wheels some kind of differential procentage? What makes it better to have your hubs locked during the winter and not all the time? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    Thanks!
    Dan

12. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The hubs link your wheels to the axle shafts in the front end. If you have manual hubs (with a dial cap) and they are unlocked you can put the truck in 4wd and evrything will spin except the front tires. The advantage to being able to unlock them is nothing moves when they are unlocked saves wear and tear and gas mileage /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif When you think you are gonna be needing 4wd just lock them in then when you need it just shift the T-case /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif None of this applies to automatic hubs. If you have them replace them, they will break when you need them most.

13. xswede

xswede Registered Member

Ok, so why not just keep them locked all the time?

14. xswede

xswede Registered Member

so if you unlock the hubs and engage 4x4, the only two wheels (rear) moves the truck? So infact, no 4x4? Am I right?

15. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The advantage to being able to unlock them is nothing moves when they are unlocked saves wear and tear and gas mileage /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

and yes you are correct.