Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

winter heat (need plumbers and insulation guys)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by wraenking, Oct 11, 2005.

1. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

whats up guys. recently got married, but looking for a house is out until next summer when she graduates graduate school for her masters.

problem: we live over a old 3 car garage (sweet!) that used to be a boat shop. no insulation between the garage and the 2nd floor. it gets vold here by the water and with this winter coming and the prices that they are saying gas will be, im in trouble.

we payed around 350 -450 a month last year, which i knew was high, bu i dealt with it. i dont want to pay 1500 am onth this year, so im looking to insualte underneath the floor and the garage. suggestions on what kinds? any tips to make it easier. i have done attics before but that you just lay down.

2nd problem. we have baes board heat which i love, but someone told me i can bleed the pipes and ill see a big difference in my gas bill if i do.

not really sure how to do it though. can someone give me a quick tutorial?

thanks guys, right now , moving is not an option, so i want to make it as easy as possible this winter

thanks again

2. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

as for the roof of the garage... spray on insulation is a god among men for convience. Plus it works awesome. Just spray it along the joists and cut down any excess that comes down. It is kinda expensive, so if you want the cheaper route, use thick vapour barrier and large staples to hold up the pink fiberglass to the joists.

Know nothing about bleeding pipes tho

3. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Use the rigid styrofoam board, with the spec nails just hold it up to the bottom of the joists and nail it up. Kinda pricey, but better than an insulation shower, which is what you'll get ttrying to install batt insulation overhead.If you are not hearing any popping or rumbling in your baseboards, I don't think there is much air in them.

4. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

If you want to go cheap get some large cardboard boxes, like refrigerator boxs from appliance store. break them open and staple to the floor boards above garage. I did this one once and was surprised of the difference, and cost the price off a box of staples. :doah:

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

cardboard works good --BUT...

I used corrugated cardboard boxes to insulate a shed we used as a party shack as teens,my friends grandfather told us it was a trick he learned during the depression to save money on both insulation and heating bills(probably COAL in those days :haha: )...

But the problem with cardboard is its flammable,and any building inspector wont allow it to be used in anyplace inhabited by humans--a chicken coop would not be a problem,but a house will be...I read you can spray a solution of Borax and water on it to make it more flame retardent if you must use it..If you aren't worried about fire or don't plan on telling anyone about it I guess you could use it..just dont smoke near it!..you could nail cheap paneling over it to hide it... :thinking:

It worked so well in our party shack (12'x 12')we could heat it with one of those electric toaster style heaters pretty good..we took every box we could get from local supermarkets free,and glued them together with Elmers glue,then nailed them to the studs..we got enough boxes to make it 4" thick,so it was flush with the studs!...we scored an old wood stove ,and we were never cold in there all winter!(my friends dad cut the extension cord for the heater in two with a hatchet when he saw his electric bill :rolleyes: :haha: )...

I nailed paneling over the studs in a small room in my garage I have stove in--it made a huge difference,even without any insulation!--All it takes is a "dead air space"--thats all insulation is anyway,to help insulate the inside from the cold...just having airtight walls makes a big improvement!..I admit I was tempted to use cardboard in my garage room too--but decided against it due to the wood stove..I'd only need a half a roll of "real" fiberglass to do it--and the other wall is steel panels,so it probably would not make much difference anyway.. :crazy: