Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Winter Prep Questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fireplug, Nov 25, 2005.

1. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

I have a new truck coming to me and am dying to get started by asking a ton of questions but I will resist, lest the deal goes sour and the questions are asked in vain. But don't worry I have a few that will be worthy no matter what rig I end up with ;)

First one, does anyone know of an aftermarket mirror heater setup? I haven't found one but surely it must exist. I imagine it would be easy to construct for someone electrically in the know. Any ideas?

The second, has anyone used one of those windshield washer fluid heaters? The idea is intriguing if it actually works.

The last is in regards to oiling or undercoating. What products have proven themselves to you guys?

Thanks for any input. Jason.

2. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

How cold is cold for you?

I use windshield washer fluid (with ethyl alcohol in it), that has enough alcohol in it to be good to about 20 below. If you don't want washer fluid to freeze, just mix in more alcohol.

edit: duh... most people use washer fluid in their washer resevoir, ethyl alcohol in the washer fluid is what I was talking about. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2005
  3. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Actually, and yeah I know this is lazy and maybe gimmicky....buuuut apparently it slices through snow and ice to ease up early morning starts. I know, I know :crazy:

4. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

So does a long icescraper with a brush on it. Would you really want to put heated water on your ice cold windshield? Bad idea.

5. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

BUICK has that as an option now. :laugh: i thought the same thing.hot water cold glass = crack. :haha:

6. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

How many cars go through the car wash in January, February? I don't think it would be a problem unless of course the windshield is already cracked. How about the heated mirrors? Anyone? Anyone?

7. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

By the time they hit the carwash, the windshield is heated.

I'm speaking about when you first get up in the morning, ice/snow on the windshield. Not after it's all been scraped off and you've had the engine warmed up with the heater/defroster on for 15 minutes.

8. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Even as I posted I was thinking the same thing. But really in the dead of winter at least up here, the windshield goes through drastic temperature changes (both ways) all the time without problems.

Hmmm it's like Letterman's 'Will it float', I say it won't break. :D

Well soon I'm gonna have to edit this and rename it "heated mirrors" Ever wish you had kept your mouth shut? LOL :doah:

9. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Psh, come winter time, mirrors are about useless to me. Never had heated mirrors, and with as much window space the K5 had (and now the S-10), I just spend more time looking around than using mirrors.

10. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I've seen what appear to be heated mirrors on big trucks. That's as much as I know on that topic.

The heated washer fluid wouldn't be bad IF there is no way to squirt it on a cold windshield. I would think that a little creativity with some copper pipe using the heater hoses could accomplish this.

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

it works,but...

I've seen some guys who plow wind copper tubing or brake line around the exhaust pipe ,manifold ,or radiator/heater hoses to heat the wiper fluid..I'm suprised the hot juice doesn't crack the windsheild..but then,my friend used to toss his boiling water left over from his morning coffee on his jeep windsheild to clear it off,and though I expected it too,it never cracked..! :confused: --never understood that!

I'd just add more denatured alcohol if I wanted to keep it from freezing..they make De-Icer now that will actually melt ice,and not freeze over the minite it hits the glass while driving..(Prestone brand--looks like Pee! :haha: ) -thats always a joy to have happen,to be suddenly driving BLIND while going 40 mph down the road.. :eek1:

As for heated mirrors,I've only seen factory or aftermarket ones for "big rigs".I know some cars have a heated side windows,the defroster ducts are plumbed thru the doors where they shut against the dash..maybe a hole where the mirror mounts would let some heat blow in the mirror too??..(if ther isn't one there already that is..!).. :crazy:

12. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Well I know that the rigs including fire trucks use electrically heated mirrors. I assume that all it is is current leading to a resistor glued to the back of the mirror surface. Now, what would one use as a resistor? The set up would be real easy on our trucks, as the hole through the door would be protected by the mirror's housing, and the wire could be routed through the hollow mirror arm. Anyone with electrical experience to suggest the details?

As for the windshield breaking, remember that we aren't talking about tempered glass like glassware that we have seen break with hot liquids in them.

13. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

how about....

How about an ignition coil ballast resistor from a 70"s Mopar--the "double" ballast ones used from 72-78 get hot enough to burn your hand on it if you touch it! (ask me how I know! :doah: )..they are little more than a porcelain covered spring (s)of resistance wire wrapped over an asbestos core..might be able to use hi-temp epoxy to glue it too the glass.. :thinking: ..probably work better than a ciggarette lighter element... :rolleyes: :crazy: