Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Winter Starting?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Muddin_Mavric, Jun 28, 2001.

1. Muddin_Mavric

Muddin_Mavric Registered Member

I am considering buying a diesel blazer if i can ever find one around here but i was wundering how good do they start in the winter? I live in Wisconsin so it is normaly 0*F to 20*F in the winter some times a little colder. How long do you have to let them warm up in the winter and how long in the summer?

thanx for any info you can give me

Justin Behr

2. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

I live here in Colorado and in the winter it takes a couple cycles of the glow plugs and then I crank it over, it usually takes a couple minutes to start, though I dont ever use the engine heater. When the glow plugs quit cycling is when It is warmed up enough and the engine idles down a bit, same thing in the summer. Hope that helps!

Theres nothing like fiddling with my Jimmy! 1984 GMC Jimmy 379 diesel, 700R4, 3.73s, 31 x10.50 x 15

3. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I plug mine in when it gets around 30s at night. No problems starting. I let mine warm up about 5 min in the winter. Not as much in the summertime cuz its already hot!! If you have ANY batteries going or starter not working right or bad glow plugs it will show up in the winter time very quickly.
    I had to coax my apartment complex to let me run 150 ft of cord down the apt complex to plug mine in. They didn't like the idea, oh well.
    Any other questions feel free to ask.

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need any roads!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://SK-15.coloradok5.com>http://SK-15.coloradok5.com</A>

4. Guest66

Guest66 Registered Member

I just plug mine in when it gets cold and it starts fine, or i just elt the glow plugs cycle through twice, 3 times if i need it, and i let mine idle for 3-5 minutes after i rev it a little to help git it goin.In the summer i dont even bother lettin it warm up cuz its pretty warm allready.

5. Muddin_Mavric

Muddin_Mavric Registered Member

Thank you very much for the help i will try and find a diesel blazer but i might end up with a diesel pickup truck since i have never seen a diesel Blazer for sale around here :(