Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Winter tear down time. Major Body Mods

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Sandman, Oct 6, 2003.

1. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I think I have most of it figured out.

On the front I will remove the inner fenders, Skin out the fenders and the hood, Narrow the front down some, remove the 3" Body pucks out from below the radiator support, and swap out the 6" springs for some 4" versions. This should lighten it up and give some better visibility.

On the cab I think I will cut off the roof (If I get to it), Remove all of the AC and heater venting and stuff and just put a universal heater/blower/defrost deal on the firewall and also mount the battery behind the glovebox. Remove all carpet (Whats left of it) and rhino line or some cheap version of it. Remove the flexsteel seat and put in some padded racing seats. I would like to build my own dash and seal everything but I dont really have the cash for the guages right now.

On the rear I will move the rear axle back 6" and move the gas tank in front of the axle. Possibley bob out the rear while I'm there.

I think most of these mods can be done on the cheap and it will make a big difference. I hope to lose a few hundered pounds.

I was able to lose 800 pounds between Moab trips and it made a HUGE difference!

Maybe thats why those old Subaru 4x4 wagons kicked so much ass. Anybody who has offroaded one knows what I'm talking about. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Going to be a busy winter. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

2. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

you said it, you're gonna have a busy winter.

you're planning on removing just the front body pucks or the BL all together??

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

we both wanna do similar stuff sandman... though Im not sure what the point of cutting off the top of the cab is. I mean, weight saving would be pretty minimal really... there are other places were a LOT more weight could be saved. Maybe its just me, but when I go wheeling and its raining or snowing (like last time i was at tsf!) i like having the half cab roof over me. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif makes the cab more rigid too. other than that, your mod list is bad azz. I dig it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I think you should take pics of your heater/AC removal and replacement.. I was thinking of doing the exact samr thing at some point. My factory AC compressor and condensor plus most of the hoses connecting them two things are already gone... might as well finish the job. You have a line on an inexpensive universal heater to replace the system with?

j

4. Sandman

I plan on leaving the body lift as it gives me more room to fool with the fuel tank relocation and I thought about rotating the transfer case up so that I could put a flat belly plate on it. My exaust is also real tight as it is.

So I will just remove the pucks under the front and see how that goes.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

What are you doing with your old springs? I'm in the market for a different set of 6" or possibly 8" springs to put under my truck and that's why I'm putting off putting in my D60 until I get a set.

6. Sandman

According the Stephan of ORD, You save around 75 pounds by cutting the roof off. That weight is up-high weight so it adds up. I may not cut the roof for some time. When I do I will set myself up with a Bikini top and a full soft top so I can stay dry. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

There or some universal vehicle heaters in JC Whitney. I was thinking of mounting one on the inner firewall and using the stock defroster venting. Then I could reach down and flip it to the floor if needed. Should be a lot less complicated and overall be lighter and more compact. Gives me room to mount the battery behind the glovebox and whatever else back there.

7. Sandman

Sell them I guess. It wouldnt be for 3 or 4 months though. My Blazers been sitting in a storage warehouse since EJS. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I plan on leaving the body lift as it gives me more room to fool with the fuel tank relocation and I thought about rotating the transfer case up so that I could put a flat belly plate on it. My exaust is also real tight as it is.

So I will just remove the pucks under the front and see how that goes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gas tank over driveshaft....you aver seen a drivesahft flail around under a truck when it snaps? Hope you plan to put a 1/4 inch plate under the tank!

9. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

That's just another reason to run a Driveshaft hoop. But then again I dont know how well that would work on a rock crawler.

10. jekbrown

well hell, if ur looking to dump weight, look no further than the Tatonka Grunt body kit....

[​IMG]

hot blonde not included apparently... but it does allow mad room for big meats and you can dump a LOT of weight. All fiberglass tub... no more rust probs. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

11. Sandman

I thought of that one also. I might cut a hole in the floor at the front of the rear area and then box it in and place the tank there. Or install a fuel cell in some fashion.

Basically I want to remove the heavy weight that sits behind the rear axle. I think it helps to unload the front axle in a steep crawl.

12. Sandman

I've seen those and I've seen the price!!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I'm on a Budget. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Sell them I guess. It wouldnt be for 3 or 4 months though. My Blazers been sitting in a storage warehouse since EJS. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds just about perfect! I can put my D60 swap off all winter. I've got the axle, it's not going anywhere!

14. jekbrown

yeah, the tatonka stuff is pretty expensive. to bad they dont sell just the cab part of the tub... no fenders, no bed etc at a cheaper price. That'd let cheap-skates like us afford them. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Oh well, guess I'll just go with the S-10. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif at any rate sandman, i hope you have a digital camera and take loooots of pics as you go along, cause I wanna see it! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

j

15. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Sandman,

And the race is on....

Im going to do some major body mods to mine as well this winter. I need to loose some weight, trim up some of the overhang and get ready to cave in the bedsides for yet another season of wheeling! Keep us posted on your progress and take lots of pics. I will too! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

My plan is to Boatside the rockers, pinch the rear, possibly move the front springs forward and pinch the front. Thats awful optimistic at this point, but its only sawzall blades and welding time! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

You might consider removing a leaf from them to see how it affects the ride height. It will definately help out with flex-i-ness.

So, are you planning on keeping the 89-91 grille "Look"? I really want to retain at least the headlight system and some of the inner grille. I thought it would be cool to narrow the grille. Maybe using a GMC style setup would be easier. Gotta keep that K5 look man! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. Sandman

I will try just removing a leaf. Thanks.

I thought I would cut out the part between where the radiator sits and the headlight buckets and weld the core support back together. I wanted to keep the grill so I was going to section it out in two places and then epoxy it back together.

I am going to pull it out of storage next week and start figuring out a plan of action. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif