Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wiper arm conversion for early models, what does it entail ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big d, Jun 6, 2003.

1. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

what does it entail, or is it even possible to convert earlier blazer models with the wiper spray nozzles in the hood to the type where they are in the wiper arm itself (say like the 85 model) ? obviously the arm is needed, but what else ? any and all info will be greatly appreciated, and btw.......thanks in advance. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

If you're wanting to swap them onto a 73-80 truck just get the later arms and then redo the water hose. I put a set on my 80 and it was a direct swap, all I had to do was buy some hose and reroute it to the wiper arms.

FYI - I just bought some of these arms from LMC for my 91, they were about $13 each and the quality was very nice.

3. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

thanks alot for the info. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Just buy the newer style 81-87 (for pickups and up to 91 for blazers) wiper arms and some hose. The only problem is that the squirter on the 80 and below uses a cam style pump (squirt, pause, squirt, pause, squirt, pause, etc.), whereas the 81 and up uses a constant spray. You can use your existing pump and reservoir, but I found it better to get a new style 81 and up reservoir and pump and use that. You can leave the old pump right where it is (mounted on the wiper motor). I am hoping to get motivated and do a write-up on this, as I have done it to one of my trucks (78) and want to do it to the other (80). One of the best mods I have ever done (due to mud, dirt, and snow causing streaks on my windshield and not being able to see).

I made a post in the wanted section for a reservoir and pump, and received about 8 responses of people who had spares for sale. I bought two (one for each truck), so there should be others out there.