Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wiper arm interchangeability

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Leadfoot, Dec 23, 2002.

1. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I did a search of wiper arms and came up with several, but none relating to whether the new style 81-87 (as far a pickups) arms will fit and work on the older 73-80 pickups without major hassles?
    Anyone know?
    The reason I ask is I hate the windshield squirters on my 78 and 80 and would like to go to the newer setup. If I could just replace the arms it would be a cakewalk.

Again, anyone know or have done this?

TIA

2. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

yes i am allmost positive you can switch the arms and if ya need some i i know i have a few around so just let me know ill even check it out first here my self to make sure i have my 78 shortbed and my 84 burb here so ill try it out 4 ya
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. Leadfoot

If you would, that would be sweet, and then I could arrange to have the funds sent out. It was good doing business with you last time, so I would have no problems doing it again.

Thanks,
    Chris

4. Ben Malinski

Ben Malinski Guest

I'm looking for the wiper arms that tilt back from the glass. The ones on my 84 only lift back an inch or two. I did improvise and install the clip on washers. The old style washers are in the hood and get frozen at times in the winter. Do you have the tilt back type?
    Thanks!

5. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Ben, if you find any that flip up that'll work on our K5s let the board know! The stock GM style is a PITA. Trying to stand on the hub, hold the wiper up and brush (shovel) the snow off the windshield drives me nuts. I also would like to be able to flip them up at night to keep them from freezing to the windshield. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I know earlier VWs (rabbit/golf) flip up maybe I could "borrow" someones wiper arm to check /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. Ben Malinski

Ben Malinski Guest

I've tried to interchange some from the later 80's onto my 84 and they were too long. I tried some Fords and Chryslers wipers also. Anyone have some ideas on what will work?
    Thanks!

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I don't have any experience with the 73-80 style, but as I recall, the wiper arms don't pass through any sort of "cowl cover" like the 81-87's right? (the vented piece on the 73-80's is part of the hood)

If the 73-80's have any sort of piece that hugs the wiper arm "post", then you will *probably* end up having the fluid hose cut right there.

The early/late style '81+ trucks used different cowl pieces, the late ones have a bigger hole so the hose wasn't pinched (and then cut) between it and the wiper "post" as the wiper arm moved.

You probably would have to look at the '81+ cowl piece to see what I mean, because my descriptions usually suck /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

8. Leadfoot

No, the description doesn't suck (mainly because I know what you are talking about). I have seen the differences with the 80/81 split with the cowl. I know I would have to re-configure the hose routing to prevent cutting/chaffing. I am trying to picture it in my mind, and I was more curious if the "studs" (splined piece that the wiper arm attaches to) were the same diameter and spline count and in the same location on 81 and up as the ones on the 80 and down. I was even curious about the arms to see if I could adapt the nozzles to my existing one's. I was going to look at Noangel's 88 yesterday, but with all this damn snow, I did not get a chance to look. I also figured someone may have experimented with this and saved me some of the hassles.

Thanks for the input though.

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd be *real* surprised if the splines were different. The '81+ "studs" are completely round. As long as yours are round, I'd bet they are the same. (I know some car "studs" weren't round after '81, but if the newer trucks are round, I'd expect the older ones to be also)

Haven't looked real close at the squirter nozzle on my wiper arms, but the black plastic piece that holds the hose in place just clips on, perhaps if the arms are too different, you could retrofit the squirter assembly to yours.

10. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I put the '89 Suburban style on my '74 w/ an '81 frontend. I did change the cowl cover to the one with big holes. The arms don't flip back though, like what you're looking for.....maybe an even later model??

11. Leadfoot

Bringing this back to the top
    UPDATE:

I just did this on my 78. I was sick of the squirters in the hood getting moved around by ice and snow and having to re-adjust all the time. I ordered new arms for the 81+ trucks. Here is how it went. 15 Minutes total.

I took the old arms off, installed new wiper blades on new arm (as good of time as any), bought 8 ft of 7/64" wiper hose, removed the hose that came with the wiper arms and installed new hose routing it the same way as the old onto the new arm, installed arm and routed hose to the pump. I did the same for the other arm. The newer trucks have one hose coming from the pump, a "Y", and then it goes to each squirter. The older trucks have two hoses coming from the pump, so I just ran 1 to one are and 1 to the other. The hardest part was stretching the hose over the fittings on the pump (silicone helped alot) as they were designed for larger diameter hose.

Everything works OK and better than the old system. The only drawback is that the old style pumps pulse where as the new style stays steady. I am going to investigate running a new style reservoir and pump assembly as well which should make it even better.

Just an FYI that it can be done and the arms are interchangeable.