Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wiper Controller Circuit Board - GM RECALL!!! :-) '94-97 Models

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by HarryH3, Jul 4, 2003.

1. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Wiper Controller Circuit Board - GM RECALL!!! :-) \'94-97 Models

Ah, it seems that we aren't the only folks that have been having the phantom-in-the-wipers problem. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Since the wipers are considered a safety item, GM has issued a recall for:

'94-97 Chevrolet, GMC, Oldsmobile minivans, pickups, and sport utility vehicles.

Symptoms: On vehicles with certain model-engine combinations, windshield wipers could fail because of cracked solder joint on controller circuit board. (Gee! That failure description sure does sound familiar!)

Models: 1,755,876 vehicles made 3/94 to 9/96. Recall involves the following: '94 Chevrolet and GMC pickups with 2- and 4-wheel drive. '94-96 Chevrolet Tahoe and GMC Yukon. '94-97 Chevrolet and GMC Suburban. '95-96 Chevrolet and GMC pickups, both regular andextended cab. '96 Chevrolet Blazer, GMC Sierra, Oldsmobile Bravada, and GMC Jimmy. '95-97 Chevrolet Astro, Chevrolet and GMC crew-cab pickups, and GMC Safari. '96-97 Chevrolet S10. '97 Chevrolet and GMC pickups with 2-wheel drive.

What to do: Have dealer replace wiper-motor circuit board and cover. For information, call 800-222-1020 (Chevrolet), 800-462-8782 (GMC), or 800-442-6537 (Oldsmobile).

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

My addition: BTW, if you have already replaced this on your own, or have had it fixed by a mechanic, GM will usually reimburse you for the cost of the repair and/or parts, if you can provide them with a receipt. (Or they may insist on replacing your "new" module anyway, just to make certain that you have their improved design, since this is a safety related issue).

2. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

Re: Wiper Controller Circuit Board - GM RECALL!!! :-) \'94-97 Models

I received this recall in the mail months ago, I have not had the problem yet and as a important note GM WILL NOT replace it unless it is broken and this recall ends feb. 2004.

3. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

Thats odd, /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I took my truck in yesterday for the repair. They didn't ask if I was having problems I just told them my dad gave me a letter printed off the internet concerning possible wiper motor problems and that I wanted mine replaced. They replaced it (for free of course). Its a problem that has caused a few accidents and in my letter it didn't say anything about the motor has to be problematic before they will replace it. Its a safety issue and is bound to give problems eventually. I would try another dealer if one will not replace until it is giving problems. If you have already replaced yours they will refund your money for your cost whether it was giving you problems or not. *shrugs*

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

So tell 'em that it's intermittent. Works most of the time, but doesn't work occasionally. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif How can they prove ya wrong?

5. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

The Service Writer can check the history on the vehicle, to see if any recall/s are applicable to that vehicle, standered opp, in my shop. If they find any, they will add it to a repair order. No questions asked.
    They can even check it out over the phone.

It's that simple.

6. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

Call them before you go in ... I had a wiper problem on my 94, but it was the motor .. I had them check the recall because I knew about it in advance and it didn't apply to my vehicle (as determined by the VIN)

7. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

Just called on this and they will only do the work if your vin ends in RJ400000. Mine is RJ38---- /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif