Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wiper motors don't return to the bottom

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dremu, Jan 1, 2006.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Feb 27, 2000
    ...when I turn them off. Yes, I could just go buy a new motor ... but all my trucks seem to do it eventually, and at $60-$75 a pop, it adds up.

Any of y'all cheapskate enough to try rebuilding these, or know if they fail this way frequently (or is it just my luck :mad: )?

-- A
  2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Jul 24, 2003

There is a set of contacts under the cover for the washer pump,they must be clean..and the plastic wheel "cam" that runs the pump is what tells the "park switch" when to shut off the motor,so the blades stop where they are supposed too..

Sometimes no amount of fudging with the wiper motor helps though,and installing a new or rebuilt(or known good used) one is the only way out..

I learned to never to try "testing" a GM wiper motor OFF the truck!..it seemed like every time we tried "testing" one with a battery and jumper wires,something would screw up inside them,and they wouldn't "park" right,or not work on one speed or something--even though they worked fine when still attached in the truck to the stock switch and wiring when we tried them to make sure it was worth pulling..:screwy: haven't figured that out yet...must have them wired weird using ground for the switch,or something...:confused: :crazy:
  3. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Nov 10, 2003
    The switch gives the motor a ground. I had a motor with a slight short in the housing that kept it from working right. I fixed it easily enough with a little bend and electrical tape.