Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wiper Motors

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5bodyboy, May 25, 2006.

1. k5bodyboy

k5bodyboy Registered Member

How Do You Get The Wiper Motor To Go Twice As Fast As The High Speed Setting .

2. k5bodyboy

k5bodyboy Registered Member

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

um...

As far as I know it goes as fast as it will go on "high",the motor has a resistor built into it for the "low" speed,and runs directly off 12V to get high speed...

The only way to make it go faster would be to run it off 24 volts (more voltage = higher speed--or rewind the aramature) --and I doubt it will live long with higher voltage--...besides,the wiper blades will get flung right off in no time if they go TOO fast...:rolleyes:

The main reason wipers are sluggish are wiper transmission shafts are all dry of lube and rusted,or the motor itself has bearings that are slowly seizing up,or low voltage to the motor due to bad grounds and corroded power wires..or a switch with burned contacts that reduce voltage...:crazy:

4. shockline

shockline Registered Member

My 84 wiper motor only works on high, and when you turn it on the fluid pump comes on as well.
    The K5 has factory cruise but I think the PO removed the controls from the inside and changed the wiper switch.
    Did the factory cruise come with the switch on the wiper motor or mounted some where else?

5. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

The factory cruise controls were mounted the little stick thingy, on the column. At the very end. Theres a switch thingy and a push button on the end.