Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wiper problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by funkycold, May 12, 2002.

1. funkycold

funkycold 1/2 ton status

Anyone experience a problem with their windshield wipers? I will turn them on and then they will stop by themselves. Everything else works, turnsignals, high beams, and cruise control. I have to twist it back to mist to get them to move again.

Not that windshield wipers are a problem in CA being that it doesn't rain much, but it sucks when they don't work when you want them to.

2. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

maybe the motor is worn out?

3. Jed

Jed Registered Member

Check all the contacts and clean them up if needed. If it's like mine (87 pickup) then the contacts in the 2 connectors on the motor can be pretty crusty.

The top connector has 2 contacts and just controls where the wipers stop so it shouldn't be the problem.

The bottom connector has 3 contacts and switches on the high speed and low speed modes, with one contact for power (or ground, I think it's power but I forget). The power contact is probably the culprit if boths speeds crap out. Then again it may be the motor itself. Or perhaps a really sticky linkage. If you take the motor off check that the wipers and linkage move freely.

I just replaced my wiper motor for 80 bucks (CDN). The high speed mode didn't work. Unfortunately, you absolutely need good wipers up here.