Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wiper Problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by airemdwn, Oct 21, 2006.

1. airemdwn

airemdwn 1/2 ton status

The windshield wipers on my 87 went from becomming "Intermittent Sometimes" to "Intermittent Never" and Now they are ON whenever you touch the switch. Which is better that Never On! However They dont turn off anymore either, you have to twist the wiper stalk backwards to turn them off and they dont return to rest, they just stop when to twist the stalk far enough.

Am i better off looking at the switch, That pulse module thingy under the column or is the problem under the hood and thats why it doesnt return to rest?
    Any help is much appreciated.
    Thanks

2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

3. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

My burb does the EXACT same thing, i think its the dohicky under the column because the intermitant died on mine first then after i stored it for a year, they only work as you discribed.

It must be a safty builtin so when the intermitant thingie goes you still have something.

I have learned to live with it, but you could try replaceing the thingie and see, hey let me know :D

dave

4. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

MOdule is a good place to start, as it's easiest to replace, and you can find them cheap in the yards. If you want a new one,they are like $50.
    It's located, usally, near the bottom of the column, a little rectangular black box, wire connectors on each end, and alum. fins on one side.

5. Smokin'Joe

Smokin'Joe Registered Member

I had this problem ( I think ). You turn wipers on for intermittent running and they run constantly as they would in low? You turn off wipers by twisting to mist, then holding until the arms are where you want to release the switch?? What I did was to pull the electrical connections, and clean w/sand paper. Single sheet thick fit in connections. Put a dab of dielectric grease on each connector and plugged back in. I found them working as they're supposed to afterwards. I did this on the wiper motor itself. Nothing else. Didn,t cost anything,but 5 minutes.

6. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

my crew cab had the same issue, when you hit the switch they came on full. There was no delay to them. Once I replaced the module under the dash I had no problems with my wipers after that.

7. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

hummm :thinking:

this is nice, i could never really be bothered befor since they stilll worked but this i like, i'll have to try that.

thanks brother