Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wiper Relay?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JP's K5, Nov 11, 2002.

1. JP's K5

JP's K5 Registered Member

I Have an '89 Blazer and I believe the wiper relay is out. I only have two of the higher speeds working. Does anyone know how to cure this problem and what does it envolve?
    Thanks!

2. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

I believe there are only 2 basic parts to this system (besides the motor itself on the firewall.) The actual turn signal arm which you rotate to select speeds, and the wiper switch inside the steering column which send the signal to the motor. The turn signal arm that sticks out of the column only works as a selector. When you turn the end of the stick, it turns the shaft, at the column end, that has a little "nub" that strikes different contacts inside the column (the wiper switch). The wiring attached to the turn signal stick is only for cruise, so that shouldn't be your problem. Then there is a wiper switch inside the column, that is most likely the part that failed. Everything has to be pulled from column to access the part. It looks like a wiring harness. The part with the hole for the turn signal arm goes up top by the wheel, and then the wires get fed down through the cloumn, to a connector (7 pin IIRC) under the dash, just to the left of the column. The hardest part is pulling the wheel and all the guts to get the old part out, and install the new one. Hope my ramblings helped some.

3. nofeartruckin00

Scanned a pic (sorry for quality) from chilton's manual. In the first pic, it shows the wiring harnes with the turn signal stick attached. The only difference is that instead of having two of those flat connectors, yours will only have one flat connector, with 7 wires. [​IMG]

4. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

At the base of the steering column there is a delay module, the harness wiring, and the column wiring from the wiper switch plug plug into, it's a silver finned box under the dash, that may be your problem.

5. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I'm having issues with my wipers also. I ordered a new wiper control module about an hour ago,and it cost me $90- 84 is a year only thing /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Hope that cures my issues /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

6. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey JB I have the same problem all my intermitent settings work as low speed...LOL. Let me know what fixes it. I am in Fallon NV too by the way have to go wheelin sometime. at least it doesnt rain much here LOL

7. nofeartruckin00

Does the turning part at the end of the stick move smoothly when you turn it, or does it get tight, or feel sloppy at all?

8. JP's K5

JP's K5 Registered Member

The selector doesn't seem to turn any differently than it used to. I haven't got the ambition up to tear into it yet, it stopped rainning! Thanks for the help.