Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wiper stopping

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MA87K5, Dec 18, 2002.

1. MA87K5

MA87K5 1/2 ton status

My problem with the wipers are that they will stop when they are in delay or after I stop them then they won't come back on. They will move again after I physically move them. I tried a new motor and that made it worse and gave different problems. I got a module from the junk yard and no change. Every switch position works. Could the switch cause this? I have done a search with no luck. Thanks for any help.

2. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

My '73 Blazer does this too.

I too thought it is either the switch or motor.

I don't have the intermittent delay however, I did add one. I have not had a problem with the delay always working, so I am pretty sure my problem is with the switch itself.

Good luck.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If you dis-assemble the upper part of the motor you'll find the wiper park mechanism. I cleaned mine and the wipers were 90% better...

Rene

4. MA87K5

MA87K5 1/2 ton status

By looking at the posts from the search it sounds like that the wiper park causes the "ghost wiper". I don't have that problem but will look anyway. I will post whether or not that fixes it.

5. MA87K5

MA87K5 1/2 ton status

Well I took the upper area apart and there was nothing wrong with the switch connections. They looked brand new. I wiggled all the connections and they were all tight. So I tried the small bolt sticking out the top. Turned it in and the wiper would stop so I loosened it and the wiper moved. That must be the problem. The bolt was too tight and would stop the wipers. I put the wipers through all the positions and no problems. The wipers didn't completely stop in the delay position. As in go-stop----go-stop----go. Before it would go-stop----go-stop-----------. Until I physically moved the wiper. Very happy now.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Thanks for the update./forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Glad you found the problem...

Rene

7. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Check your fuse too....... Mine would stop in the middle of a swipe and then work whenever, but only whe the switch was on. I removed the fuse and it was compltely corroded. So I sprayed some lectra cleen in the fuse slot and applied fargoline to the new fuse and all is better.