Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wiper trouble

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BSav, Jan 8, 2005.

1. BSav

BSav Registered Member

So the wipers on my 88 GMC Jimmy, sort of work but not quite right. I have the seria classic model that came with the wiper delays. Whan I turn them on they go on, the low and high speed setting work, the delay settings do not work. Whan I go to shut them off they will not shut off unless I hold the mist setting on. If I let go of the mist setting half way through the wipers stop in the middle of the windshield or whear ever I let go. The wash setting is the same. It will go on but not shut off untill I use the mist setting.

Has any body had this problem? If so how can I fix it. I hope it is not a wiring thing:frown1: unless it is fairly straight foward.
    Thanks for the help.

88 GMC Jimmy 2in tuff country, chrome wheels for the speed.:grin:

2. jaysinnv

jaysinnv Newbie

Me too...

I could use an answer on this one too, I have the same exact problem. I was thinking the wiper relay? ?

3. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

I had a 85 chev 1/2 ton with delay wipers
    Any time there was a problem with the way they were working , it was a module under the dash.
    On my truck it was right under the steering column , looked like a really small amp. that could be unplugged easy and just put the plugs together to bypass it until you find a replacement
    You lose delay function and have to turn the switch all the way through the delay part to run them high or low
    The last time mine screwed up they would not shut off untill I got rid of the box , went to scrap yard and got another one

Hope it's understandable , good luck

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

i changed wiper motors (had a parts truck) swapped steering columns(had a short that anytime i moved the tilt, the wipers would go......after the column swap, all was right w/ the world. But thats just my experience. I dont remember if i changed the under dash module though(at the time i didnt know what it was) if it was hangin on the column i swapped in, i swapped it too.

5. PonchoCatalina

PonchoCatalina Registered Member

I was searching for information about wiper delay repairs and found this thread. The description of the malfunction in the first post is EXACTLY the same as my problem - no delay, wipers won't stop except by using a combination of the "mist" setting and good timing. I thought it might be the delay module, so I unplugged it, opened it, nothing seemed broken/burned, so I closed it up and plugged it back in. Now I only have slow wipers on the "high" setting - no washers, no mist function, etc. Any ideas what I might have screwed up? Is it possible to bypass the module? - right now I'd be happy with high, low, washer, and wipers that would turn off and park. I guess I would have been better off leaving things alone.

6. GEORGIA GABE

GEORGIA GABE 1/2 ton status

bad park switch
    gabe

7. PonchoCatalina

PonchoCatalina Registered Member

Where is the park switch?

8. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

the wiper has a lobe on the motor, tells it when to stop so the wiper isnt in the middle of ure windshield.

possible, i had same prob on mine too. tore everything apart with multimeter and cleaned contacts. now it works fine but my delay doesnt work. i gave up on it now- wash, slow, and fast are good enough. doesnt rain here anyways

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Same here...

My 79 C10 has "delay" wipers,and they act up often too,always on the "delay" setting--if I leave it on "low" or "Hi" they work normally..I never bothered to see what is wrong,if I wiggle the switch while its in the "delay" mode,sometimes they will come on and work perfectly.

I consider that just "one of those things" a quirky 25+ year old truck (or any other older vehicle) has when they reach antique status!..as long as they keep wiping,I ain't fixing it!--and if they dont,I kept the "regular" non delay wiper motor and switch from my 74 K20 when I junked it,just in case!..since I have a means to fix it,I doubt it will ever fail...thats always been my experience--if you fear a part is going to fail,buy a replacement,and carry it with you--most likely it will still be waiting to be installed when you scrap the truck!.. :doah: :crazy:

10. GEORGIA GABE

GEORGIA GABE 1/2 ton status

ok, when your wipers wont "park" or go to the down position when you turn them off. it is most likely a park switch. for an 88 blazer it would be part # 22009296 in ac delco. http://www.acdelco.com/html/catalog/index.htm
    gabe