Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wiper upgrade article

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Leadfoot, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

One thing you missed is that '81-91 are not the same.

'81-?? used squirters mounted on the cowl. Later ones like you got off that '89 are wiper arm mounted.

Personally I think the earlier squirters are better (less complex, that small tubing used on the later ones is hard to find) and I don't find that the later ones on the wiper arm are any more or less effective than the earlier design.

The break was probably around '85, my '83 had them on the cowl, my '86 I don't believe did. (bought it as a stripped tub)

3. tungsten

tungsten 1/2 ton status

My '85 K5 has them on the wiper arm. 85 must have been the transition year?

4. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Has anybody ever done any type of motor upgrade? Mine just seem weak, even after installing an aftermarket reman unit.

5. dyeager535

All GM units seem pretty "weak". (witness the "park" problems they had on all the cars)

You might want to check the wiring to the motor, perhaps it's not up to par. (connections especially)

6. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You are correct, I wasn't sure of the transition year.
    As far as the squirters being mounted on the cowl, that might be better than the ones mounted in the hood of the pre 81's, but there is no easy way to mount the 81-84 style on a pre 81 truck (no "cowl"), although I did think about trying it. I did notice though that ice/snow would block the cowl mounted squirters more easily than ones mounted on the wiper arm.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

84 here, in the cowl.

Never bothered to look at my 86 or 87.

8. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

my 87 truck, and 88 parts burban both on the arm.

9. dyeager535

Hmm, good point about ice and snow...not sure if I'd NEED squirters if it was that cold out, but you never know. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Oh, I also forgot, that cowl piece (the metal "grille" under the windshield) is also different on the cowl mounted or wiper arm mounted setups. (this I guess is only for those thinking of converting '81-84 over to later style) If the new arms are used with the old cowl piece, you will end up pulling the hoses off of the nozzle underneath when they catch on the cowl piece, which means either pulling the cowl piece off to reattach, or playing around trying to get the hose back over that nozzle, which isn't real fun.

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Hmm, good point about ice and snow...not sure if I'd NEED squirters if it was that cold out, but you never know.

[/ QUOTE ]
    As soon as you get behind someone else that is kicking up spray from the ice and snow that's melting on the road you need the squirters a LOT. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Many gas stations along the interstate highways in Colorado have pallets of the blue juice for the washer tank, since people run out and then can't see a damn thing. And instead of it costing like 96 cents a gallon as it does at Walmart they gouge people for $3-4 per gallon. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I always have to clear the area around the squirters on our rigs. Otherwise you just notice that the snow on the cowl in turning blue instead of the stuff making it to the windshield. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

11. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

my old 82 in the cowl, my 84 in the cowl, my 85 on the arm