Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wiper Vodoo! What is it...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by N2-TRUX, Jul 25, 2000.

1. N2-TRUX

N2-TRUX 1/2 ton status

I have seen the old haunted wipers on the 73-87 trucks for years, but never had it myself. What unseen force sneeks into your wiper motor and makes them come on at random? I have an 82 C/K-5 with intermitent wipers. Just recently they started this. For no real reason, they come on and make a swipe. What is this wierdness...

<font color=purple>N2TRUX<font color=purple>
    http://n2trux.coloradok5.com/

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I had the same thing happen a few years ago.........it's normally caused by a wire that is shorting somewhere. On my 84 K5, the wiring goes through the steering column, and I ended up frying it all including the wiring that controlled my cruise, too. The part alone cost a pretty penny.

My 83 half ton has the wiper control below the gauges, left of the steering wheel. Regardless of your setup, I would assume that the source of your woes is somewhere in the wiring.

I would suggest you take a look while it's still in the developing stages and save yourself some big cash in the end. If your harness goes into the column, most times the short can be found at the pivot point for your tilt.........

3. N2-TRUX

N2-TRUX 1/2 ton status

That doesn\'t sound fun...

I guess I better take a closer look. I was just assuming it was something common in the wiper motor, like a shorting + or- lead. I had thought about the switch as a possibility too. Just so you know, the 81-82 has the same controls as your 83...

4. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

I agree with canmore.....get at it before it fries. I am currently running a home brew cobble job to get my wipers to work.....still looking for a switch I like to "hot wire" them to. I too had the ghost swipes....never paid much attention to it, until i had smoke coming out of my column that is!

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

5. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Mine only quit when it rains like hell!

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

6. stephan van leir

stephan van leir 1/2 ton status

Here is an idea that one of my friends came up with. He put in a 3amp fuse for the wiper to check for shorts. Asuming that the short would blow the small fuse, and give him the info that he needed. Well, the fuse stayed and he figured that pulling the harness was in order. He found nothing! Pulling and checking the motor showed nothing! No shorts in the lines! Nothing seemed wronge. Then one day he replaced the stereo, and, well it just went away. Could be purely coincidental, but it did go away. Nope, I don`t have any idea why. Maybe it just chased the phantom out of the rig.

7. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

sometimes mine will start...and it won't stop....have to jiggle the switch...makes me look like an idiot driving around with my windshield wipers on...my jimmy has hail damage on it from this summer! dang that pisses me off! tons of tiny dents all over the entire rig...that is going to cost more than steves soft top to fix [​IMG]

<font color=blue>If its too loud, your too old.</font color=blue>
    http://82Jimmy.coloradok5.com

8. Canuck

Canuck 1/2 ton status

Mine does the same thing. It only happens when I have the tilt steering too low. I guess there is a wire or two getting pinched with the tilt down.

Canuck

Go Wide or Stay @ Home

9. N2-TRUX

N2-TRUX 1/2 ton status

I will try this one...

Since the current stereo is the factory am/fm cassette with built in station drift-o-matic, and numbers that don't correspond with anything on this planet I think I will try changing the stereo out. Besides the only cassette tapes in my house are Barney sing-a-longs left over from my 8 year olds "younger days" as she put it...

10. N2-TRUX

N2-TRUX 1/2 ton status

How bad are the dents?

If there aren't really hundreds of them, you might consider the paintless dent fixer guys. I bought a truck once, and checked it over from top to bottom(almost). I failed to actually climb up and look on the roof. It had hail damage up there. I had a ding fixed in the panel below the quarter window by the "Dent Menders". They charged me 75.00 and you couldn't tell it was ever there. I asked them if the could fix the 10-12 dents in the roof that good, and they said they would for 275.00. I never did get it fixed, but this may work for you...

11. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Re: How bad are the dents?

Huh?

12. N2-TRUX

N2-TRUX 1/2 ton status

13. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Well I found that the ones that have the wipers on the turn signal lever are prone to it, but it is from the internal contacts getting sloppy from years of use. I disassembled mine and cleaned them up. There is a trick to this...at the very end where the cruise control button is, the housing around it is super glued in, I used a block of wood with a hole in it.Put the piece in the hole and gently bent it and it came loose, letting the guts come out, then it was just a matter of cleaning the contacts and a bit of bending, then reassemble and super glue the end back on and reinstall the lever.