Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wiper wiring, column swap...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ryoken, Apr 1, 2006.

1. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Bear with me here guys, I'll get to the point eventually... :o :haha:

I've been looking to get rid of the tilt in my 87 for awhile now... I've decided to use a non-tilt, manual column I have from my 77...

I'm pretty certain the main ignition plug will be different, but I'm not overly concerned about that and will just correct the pins or change to another multi-connection connector.

What I'm wondering about is wipers... I kinda liked the wipers on the turn signal, but after the recent self destruction of the wiper/cruise portion (the twisty part sprung out and bounced off my door panel :eek1: ), I've decided that the non wiper, simple 77 column is more what I want..

I don't mind putting the wiper controls in the dash but am wondering what would be the cleanest, simplest way to do it.. I probably have an old square style from the 77, but I'd rather update it..

I also want to keep my intermittent.. Could this be as simple running a 3 position toggle for off/low/high and maybe running a rheostat inline on the low for intermittent? Or does anyone know of a slick aftermarket setup? Or a particular late model dash one you like?

for reference, so you know what I'm working with... plenty of room available on the lower left...
    [​IMG]

2. ryoken

I just realized I was forgetting about the washer too....

I just looked around and found this slick all in one unit.. But then saw the prices! yikes! :eek1:

http://www.ecovantageenergy.com/catalog/items/item2023.htm

guess I could run some big monstrosity like this.. I did plan on enduro rockers above to replace the toggles, but sheesh thats alot of wiper control...
    [​IMG]

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Seriously, for all that work and money, wouldn't a $75 used non-tilt column with (pretty close to) correct year wiring be a better choice?

The switches on the column is superior in my opinion, but with opinions aside, you've got wiper delay, wash, and headlight control to deal with.

I picked up a spare non-tilt column for just this situation, (tilt coming apart) but I don't think my tilt column will cause me problems...but it's always nice to have a backup. :)

Non-tilt columns are pretty cheap at wrecking yards, from my experience.

4. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

(prepare for temporary hijack)

ryoken- Sorry off the subject, but I am interested in how you moved your head unit from the stock location to the middle of the dash.

(end hijack)

5. ryoken

good point Dorian.. The biggest issue is wanting it for a manual.. Post 1980, non-tilt, MANUAL columns just don't seem to come up often.. Don't think I've yet seen one offered on this board in a couple years..

good point tho.. I'll have to keep my eye out and exhaust that avenue before I resort to this... Definitely a simpler alternative..

6. ryoken

It was that way when I bought it, tho I've grown to really like it there..

The biggest prob with it there, is the vent duct had to be modified.. I eliminated the dash vents other than defrost.. This is the modded duct I pulled out..
    [​IMG]

7. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

interesting thanks

8. dyeager535

I ended up building my column from mostly truck parts, with a console shift trans bowl out of a car. Camaro's, etc. (mine was something like a Pontiac...A/G-body whatever it was)

I can't imagine finding one very easily that is non-tilt in a car, but I'm sure they were made. Since the cars could be had with floor shifters even with auto trans, they are pretty prevalent.

I thought someone was selling new bowls for the column, but it's been awhile. I think they were aftermarket.

I have no complaints about the tilt columns really, it's just that whole loose tilt problem caused by people using the wheel to pull themselves into the truck has given them a bad rap. All the cars are the same design column, but almost none have that problem. Loc-tite the screws (if the column internals aren't too far gone) and don't use the wheel as a pull-up device, and it will stay tight forever.

9. ryoken

Yeah, mine was loose when I bought it and I fixed it... I've just come to the conclusion that I never ever use it and have it set dead straight.. so I figure, might as well go non and give it more of a clean look... So, thats what I'm gonna have to hunt for, an 80 up, non-tilt, non cruise, manual column.. I'm not in a huge rush or anything so I'll just have to keep my eyes open..

thanks... :D

10. dyeager535

You don't have to worry about the cruise portion, you can swap the arms out, Astro's are a good donor for wiper arms that lack cruise, and still look good as they made them later than the trucks. Plus no chrome to peel. :)

I'm in the same boat you are, I don't need tilt. Now a telescopic steering column, that should have been standard. :)