Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wipers acting goofy...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 89GMCSuburban, Sep 26, 2003.

1. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Myh intermittent has dissappeared. When I mist the wipers, they don't return to the normal spot, they stop when I let off of mist instead of returning automatically. When I put the wipers into int., they go to a low setting. If I put it back to off, they don't turn off. I have to click mist or go back into int. and back to off and, again, they shut off where they were. My high speed works fine. What the hell is going on?????

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

WOW mine do the exact same thing cept it doesn't rain much in NV so i haven't really looked into it much. I think it has something to do with the circuit card on the wiper motor. Let me know if ya get it to work right. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

sounds like you need a motor..because they arent returning to the correct park position...i think..

4. o2bjimmy

o2bjimmy 1/2 ton status

Mine do it too but Im just gonna deal with it until I get a new wiper motor. My wipers dont have the power to move once Im doing 50mph or so /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif When you figure it out tell us how ya fixed it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. chebywanna

chebywanna 1/2 ton status

i dont know how much different the older motors are but the newer ones (mine is a 94) had a problem with the wire plug getting loose from the circuit board, they would work when they pleased and sometimes act like you described. some of those were actually recalled. i fixed mine, just pulled it out and resoddered the ends, i don't even know if the 83s use a circuit board but might be a simular contact problem.

6. big blue beast

big blue beast Registered Member

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gifMY 85 DOES THE SAME THING. I HAD IT CHECKED OUT AT A SHOP AND WAS TOLD THAT IT WAS THE WIPER MOTOR.

7. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Mine do the same damned thing, tell me how you fix it, i dont really wanna swap my column out but i got a spare one, and then i also got a spare wiper motor so i might try that too. Id like to know how you fix it.

8. krayzie

krayzie Registered Member

If your motor moves at all at the correct speed, then you need a new delay board... very common problem - even in older trucks. The board also controls park position so its a very good possibility that changing the board will solve all of your problems... Good tip - to keep the board good once replaced, run a small bead of black silicone in the groove where the cover bolts on... keeps moisture out - board lasts much much longer.

Most shops will automatically diagnose the problem as a faulty motor. Truth is, wiper motors rarely go bad. This is where the money is for the reman companies. They get your core motor, slap a new board in, paint it, and make a damn fortune!

I know some shops dont even know that delay boards can be replaced. AC-Delco is one of the only manufacturers (if not the ONLY manufacturer) that makes the boards available to the aftermarket. I ship Delco parts all over America every day, delay boards are in my top five most commonly delivered items! Good luck to ya!

9. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Where would I find the delay board on the wiper motor?

10. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

The dealer

11. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

it's the motor, my 79 did the same thing in a rain storm. my cousin was driving us up north(what we say in lower michigan) and the wiper's just stopped. then they came back just enough to go back out again.bought a new motor and it was fixed. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

12. daleearnhardt01

Thanks but I meant where on the wiper motor would I locate the circuit board?

13. boggerless

didn't mean to waste your time bro,sorry. wiper motor's are cheap /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

14. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

well the connector plugs into the circuit board...so you figure it out, pop the cover off and voila, its there..

15. boggerless

oop's wrong reponse.still change the motor,word??? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

16. daleearnhardt01

[ QUOTE ]
    didn't mean to waste your time bro,sorry. wiper motor's are cheap /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh you didnt waste my time man, what I said wasnt directed to you. It was directed to Zcarzcar. I didnt ask my question good enough in the first place. Your probably right though, I might as well replace the whole motor.

17. boggerless

that's cool man. i should have looked at who you res. to.sometimes it's easyier to replace stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

18. boggerless

hey krazie, have you met ted nugent yet? my dad and uncle TED are volenter sheriff's in your hood.mostly carnaval's and such. yes the motor city mad man is a sheriff.he likes bronco's though. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

19. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Man that's exactly why I love this website... Thanks a lot! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif