Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wipers Delay Problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Nitrodrip350, Feb 18, 2002.

1. Nitrodrip350

Nitrodrip350 1/2 ton status

I don't know if this is a wiring problem or a delay box problem but before I go ripping into everything looking for a bad wire I thought I'd ask. The problem is that when I turn on my wipers they work fine but there's no delay and if I turn it off with the switch they park in the middle of my windshield?! I can get away with it by just pulling the switch out once it's where it's supposed to be parked but that gets a little scary in the rain in a K5!!!! I've checked the the switch with one from a junkyard and it does the same so I think that it's either the delay box behind the wiper switch or something in the actual motor ... Any Ideas?

Thanks Shane-

79' K5 Body Hurting But Runs Great!!

2. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

It sounds like the "park switch" inside the motor is stuck open. There should be two little contacts that are closed until the wipers get to the "Park" position. When the wipers get to that position the contacts should open and stop the motor. It sounds like yours are open all the time or corroded, so when you lose the path from the switch, they just stop. You should be able to access them by poping off a plastic cover, they are activated by a plastic cam that turns with the motor. The wires that go to the park switch should be:
    Black with a blue stripe and a Grey(newer style) OR
    Dark Blue and Yellow (older style). They changed around '78-'79. Good luck.

Michael[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.jmartin.net/goose>www.jmartin.net/goose</a>

3. 91gmcjimmyCH_IL

91gmcjimmyCH_IL 1/2 ton status

I have the same thing on my 91. When I turn on the wipers it is only one speed one without delay. To turn it off I have to time it right so they stop where they are supposed to

4. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

'91s have a different motor, but they should still have a park switch. I don't think it's very accesable though....not sure that's..... too modern for me....[​IMG]

Michael[​IMG]

5. StonerK5

StonerK5 1/2 ton status

I have the same problem, but with mine I have found out that if I turn the wipers on high, then back down to delay the delay works, just not if I start at the delay point...does that make sense? I think the GM's are just tempermental.
    It makes me think of someone on this board's signigture
    "Experience is just recognizing an earlier mistake!" LOL!!!

"What ever happened to my Rock N Roll?"

6. Nitrodrip350

Nitrodrip350 1/2 ton status

Sounds Good, I'll go check it tonight if it's not snowing or raining or what ever Colorado decides to do toady! The main thing is I put a new motor in about 3-4 years ago, mind you it was a Checker motor - but I'll check it to see what's up.

Thanks - Shane

79' K5 Body Hurting But Runs Great!!

7. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I think by running the motor on high the park contacts probably get a better workout and function correctly for a while. They're bad about getting gummed up etc.

Michael[​IMG]