Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wipers have no intermittant setting?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by xpndbl3, Nov 13, 2006.

1. xpndbl3

xpndbl3 1/2 ton status

My wipers in the 88 suburban have no intermittent setting and i have to flip it to the mist setting and hold it down then release it for them to stop at the second they'd be back down like normal or else they will run nonstop for 30-45 seconds then stop working. I swapped steering columns a while back and this didn't clear up my issue, but it did help with a loose tilt column. So what's the proper fix for this problem? circuit board issues on newer trucks can be resoder'd but I don't know how to find the board on my 88.

2. Canadianbuilder

Canadianbuilder Registered Member

The control box for the intermittent wipers is mounted to the bottom of the steering column right behind the small removable panel at the bottom of the dash below the column.Aluminum box with fins.It is screwed more than likely or someone has removed it and just plugged the wires together.You can open them up and sometimes you can see where they have burnt.not sure if they can be repaired or not.I just go to the scrapyard and get another one.Vans use the same box by the way.

3. xpndbl3

xpndbl3 1/2 ton status

so it's mounted to the bottom of the steering column? because I swapped columns with one that worked perfectly in my fathers old suburban and the problem still persists, or is the box located near the steering column on some other area?

4. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I can take picture in day light. Just remove the cover like he told you you will see it mine is black and has Aluminum heat sink fins it slides on to a little square tab and has wire plug on each end (left and right) forget how many wires are in it. I was told if it goes bad just unplug the box and plug the wires together.
    Let me know if you need pics I will check back in AM.

5. xpndbl3

xpndbl3 1/2 ton status

i'd love some pics, and if you could circle it in MS paint or something that would be great.

eighty4z28@yahoo.com

thank

6. Metrodps

Here is looking into the area from door
    [​IMG]

Here is the area removed the part slides on to a tab under column
    [​IMG]

Here is the tab and under side of the intermed box
    [​IMG]

This is the side that faces the floor. NOTE: the little tit on left plug pushes in to the tab when no box is used and the two are connected.
    [​IMG]

I hope these help you out any thing else just ask I will try to help you. NOW before anyone ask about the chain here is my ANTI THEFT device. They either have to cut wheel/remove it. Take the seat out or find another truck to steal to go rip off tires in. The part on seat frame is double nutted and tack welded so they cant unbolt. :D
    [​IMG]

7. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Good info metro, I had the same problem and it also was the littel control module under the dash. Couple scerws and about 5 minutes and your good to go. That was one of the easiest fixes to something that I though was going to be a big process.

8. xpndbl3

xpndbl3 1/2 ton status

hmm alright, guess I didn't pull that off my old 91 suburban when we parted it out. Guess I'll be junkyard hopping for it. Maybe I'll check my old wiring box just in case, otherwise it's off to the yard, maybe I'll find a D60 there as well...hah.

9. Metrodps

Well while you are there look for a good clean no dents Left front fender. Really want GM on and not some Jap crap. Jap crap should have a number stamped on inner lip where hood hide it.

10. xpndbl3

xpndbl3 1/2 ton status

alright if i find a clean rust free fender around our rust belt i'll let you know. haha.

11. Metrodps

Yea my parts truck from there is swiss cheese you guys must bath in salt water. :haha: :haha: :haha: