Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wipers out again.......HELP

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84CUCV, Oct 26, 2003.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I hooked up a whole new unit. Checked everything, hi, low and the washer worked. It has not been 48 hours and I only have hi now. What the hell am I missing?? Wiring another fried unit or what? If wiring how do I go about tracing it? Never did work with the wiring before. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Thanks Mike

2. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Maybe a bad switch or loose connection

3. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

Was your original wiper system intermittent? I wonder if your wipers use a relay similar to that used in the intermittent wiper setup? It's a plastic device about the size of an Altoids tin with a large heatsink on it - located underneath the steering column. Anyway, if you HAVE one of these, you might try bypassing it with some homemade jumper wires, if you dont have an abundant supply of alligator clips, to see if affects your wipers.

My intermittent wipers worked only intermittently /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif, or not at all, but after getting a new ACDelco intermittent wiper relay, no further wiper problems in my 87 /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

4. 84CUCV

Its on a M1009. thanks mike

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You don't need that intermittant box. I took mine out and just plugged the wires in and it worked out fine. My new column didn't have the switch for it so I said screw it (never used it anyway, just like the tilt and cruise).

6. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

I couldnt remember if the 2 sides of the intermittent relay harness would marry up or not, hence the jumper suggestion.

But agreed, if you HAVE that relay under the column, I would seek to bypass it as a possible failure point AFTER you have determined that all your wires are properly connected, especially at the switch.

Another good test would be to isolate which wires signal the Hi and Lo speeds & the washer pump and see if you get positive voltage out of those wires when the switch is turned on to the appropriate settings. I would surmise that if you get positive voltage on the Hi wire, but not the low or washer, the switch could itself be faulty, assuming that there's a single ground point for the whole system, and not individual grounds for each function (Hi, Lo, Wash) in the system.

A great place to do this would be in the area of that intermittent wiper relay, IF again you have it. It would be a lot easier to get at than the end of the switch harness, at least on my /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

Who's Mike? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

7. 84CUCV

I didn't see a thing under the dash like that. one person told me I need to pull the column apart and replace the switch. I never done it before. I really like my M1009. it is like new! It just never stops having problems. ANy other ways around the switch? PIA /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Thanks Mike