Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wipers tricky when turning off

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by eshorvath, Sep 9, 2005.

1. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

When i turn on the wipers, everything is fine. But there is no speed difference with the different positions. Then when you turn the knob to off, they keep going.

to get them to turn off, you have to twist past the off, and wait till the wiper is in the down position, then release.

What causes this? Bad swithch? Relay? Anyone have this problem and fixed it?
    Thanksm,
    Eddie

2. richheezee

richheezee 1/2 ton status

LMAO. same thing happens with mine except that the speed difference postions actually work. slow, fast and super fast. i learned how to deal with it, so i never tore into it. good luck :doah:

3. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

:haha:

I now own two chevys and both wipers are tempermental. I think most of our trucks have wiper issues. For instance have you heard of ghost wipers yet? :haha: Sometimes you will hit a hard bump and the wipers turn on. My new burb doesn't stop squirting washer fluid until after my wipers are done, leaving fluid all over my windshield. Also the wiper motors are weak if you have ever used them in the snow or heavy mud they suck.

4. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

My 89 does it too, ever since I bought it last year. But, the different speeds work fine ... it's just that I have to turn it back and hold it until the wipers are down, .. and let off. I have not bothered to see what it needs to correct it.. too low of a priority. I am curious if it's just the switch on the stem or not. :dunno:

5. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Don't know what to tell you. Mine are all weird too. The ones in my '78 1-ton will do a full wipe when I turn the truck on, then they stop. Other than that they work fine. The ones in my 78 1/2-ton stop in their tracks whenever you turn off the switch. You have to time it perfect to get them to stop at the bottom.

6. captaininsano

captaininsano 1/2 ton status

Ghost wipers here. :dunno:

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

"Pulse" wipers??

My 79 C10 has the crappy "pulse delay" wipers,and they usually wont work on the "delay" setting,only hi and lo speed--now the wipers make one sweep every time I turn the ignition to start it up (well,almost every time)...I've been told the "Park" switch inside the wiper motor under the plastic cover near the winsheild washer pump has "points" in it that corrode and make them not shut off in the proper position,or do other goofy things!..have to look into it one of theese days-for now,as long as they still wipe when it rains,the truck has other things more important to fix than the wipers.. :crazy:

8. hero

hero Registered Member

It's probably the switch in the dash. Mine did the same thing, but when I replaced the switch, the problems went away. It's pretty easy to replace too. :laugh: I don't know why I put up with it for so long before I finally replaced it.

9. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

What switch in the dash?

10. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Seems like everyone has this problem, but none of us has fixed it yet.
    :doah: :haha: :doah: :haha: :doah: :haha:

11. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

i rebuilt my whole system solder n all- they work pretty well now but never found exactly what was the problem. now if i would just buy some wipers they might work good :D

12. captaininsano

captaininsano 1/2 ton status

I fixed mine, it's called unplugging the wiper motor until you need em. :D

13. hero

hero Registered Member

14. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Well, I had the problem and I fixed it...
    It was a combo of a bad regulator module (under the dash with a heat sync on it), and a bad wiper motor. This is assuming that the switch still goes into the positions correctly. I was having this problem until I got fed up with it and decided to change it. I would have to hold the wiper in the mist setting, and release it when the wipers were down in the retracted position to make it stop. And I had a fast setting, a real fast setting that slowly went to fast, and an off (sort of)

After the module replacement, it solved the speeed issues, but still wouldnt stop.

The new wiper motor (sealed kind, not the newer style with removable external regulator) fixed the start/stop issues.