Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wipers went south - need to replace wiper switch - any tips?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mattman, Apr 6, 2001.

1. mattman

mattman 1/2 ton status

Wiper switch messed up. It no longer clicks between positions, just moves nice and smooth. So, I need to tear the steering column apart. I got a steering wheel puller and a lock plate remover. Anybody got any tips on how to get the wiper switch out? This is the first time doing this on a Chevy (that sounded not right). Oh, have delay wipers and cruise control. Thanks for the help.
    P.S. Nice fail-safe measure by Chevy; if the switch goes south the wipers never turn off. Not a problem as long as the weather man is right and not half right. Kinda hard to pull the power connection on the freeway after it quits raining.

Stupid me, this is on a 1990 GMC Jimmy full size. (this might help a little)
    <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by mattman on 04/06/01 07:57 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

2. mattman

mattman 1/2 ton status

toppin'

90 GMC Jimmy, stock, stock, stock, ....... needs engine bad
    84 Bronco II 204,000 miles and counting...........

3. Gopherkiller

Gopherkiller 1/2 ton status

You don"t need a puller to do the job. Go to the library and get yourself a GOOD service manual. It will take you step by step. GOPHERKILLER

4. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Look for a book called "Chilton". Or goto your local auto store and get one!! Best damn thing I ever bought....next to the Blazer!!!

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://SK-15.coloradok5.com>http://SK-15.coloradok5.com</A>
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need any roads!

5. mattman

mattman 1/2 ton status

I got a Chilton's and on this subject it is worthless. Trying see if anyone has been this far into the steering column and can give me some of those "whatever you do don't do this" type of things.

90 GMC Jimmy, 350 TBI, 700R4, 32's
    84 Bronco II 204,000 miles and counting...........