Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wipers won't wipe

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BSav, Oct 19, 2005.

1. BSav

BSav Registered Member

Alright so hears my problem. I live in New England, aside from rot, latley the rain hasent stoped. What did stop were my winshield wipers. They froze, I tried to move them they would not move. So I figure a motor, I replace that. The old one was junk. I put the new one in and test it to see if it is working. My delays dont work which is fine they never have. Mist, Hi, Low and off work. I try to spray the washer fluid and they stop in the same spot and I can't get them to go again. Do any of you have any sugestions? I realy need help.

Afew years ago they got stuck on, they would not shut off. A harnes in the colum ended up having to be replaced. Is this something I should look into again as a direction?

Thanks for the help

Brian Sav

2. shawn49085

shawn49085 Registered Member

Well my friend it sounds like a few of us are having problems with wipers. It sounds like it could be the control module under the dash. It is attatched to the column, at least thats where it should be. What year is yours? Mine is a 91 and most of those years body style were the same. I am also having problems with my inter wipers working and I have a ghost in mine so I will keep you updated. You can get the part number off the module and go to this web site to order. Its OEM AC Delco at dealer cost.

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Where do they stop??

Do the blades go back to the bottom of the windsheild and stop,or do they just quit anyplace??..there are a set of contacts in the washer pump part of the motor that makes the blades "park" properly..if they get corroded (and what doesn't in New England!) the motor might not run at all,or will run and not stop,etc.--pull off the plastic cover and run some emery cloth between them.that might cure it..
    It could be the motor is junk too of course,or wires broken or corroded,and /or the module for the "delay" unit as suggested already-- a test light helps see if power is getting to the wiper motor--the connector gets gangrene at the wiper motor sometimes...

My 79 C10 has delay wipers that work ok on low or high,but delay only works if it feels like it.. :doah: sometimes they come on by themselves when I start it,makes one wipe,and parks too!--see the "ghost wipers" post! :rolleyes: doesn't do it often enough to find out why!..I think its haunted.. :eek1: :haha:

4. BSav

BSav Registered Member

Wipers wont wipe

The wipers park themselves any old place on the windshield. My truck is an 88 GMC Jimmy fulsize with the 350. I'm not so concerned about the delays as I am about just getting the wipers to make I swipe when I want. Unless you rhink that relay harnes under the dash is causing the problem. I will check it out. Should i exchange the wiper motor to see if that could be the prolem even though it is remanufactured?

Thanks for the help

BSav

5. shawn49085

shawn49085 Registered Member

You could try another motor, but first I would unhook the motor electrical plugs. There is one on the top and one towards the bottom. Unplug the one on the top and then turn the power on and see what happens. I know mine when I unplug that top plug it will come on and keep going and going. I was told that control module controls the park besides controlling the inter. I got mine fixed today, there was a wire that got pinched and was shorting out, so go figure I spend about 200 dollars replacing things and thats all it was so you might also want to tear the column apart and check all the wires, but I asked my mechanic and he told me in your case that if you have already replaced the motor he would replace that module.