Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wipers....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84k5, Feb 18, 2004.

1. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

84 with intermittent wipers-they will not turn completely off.

From an old post, I've gathered it is the switch in the column. Chevy Duty has these for $60.

How hard is this to change?? I've never taken the column apart.

Also, is this the most likely cause of the problem, or should I start somewhere else?

TIA

2. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

"dont turn completely off"? they stay on ? dont understand /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    "dont turn completely off"? they stay on ? dont understand /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he means they will intermitantly stay on meaning they turn on by themselves when the switch is off. it is a chevy thing a couple of trucks ive had did the same thing along with many other electrical problems. if I remember right from 88 through about 98 had the problems.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The wipers on my truck used to make a sweep or two for no apparent reason, then I swapped in a used wiper motor. The intermittant sweep went away, but the wipers would never park properly. You had to time it just right to get them to park at the bottom of the windshield.

Recently I swapped in a standard wiper motor and they work perfectly now. They don't have a mind of their own and they park where they're supposed to when I switch them off.

I do not have the switch on the column though...mine is beside the headlight switch on the dash.

Rene

5. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

it can be a pain
    from a non-tilt column:
    wires for turnsignals cant be disconnected, so you have to be working around that, hard to get to certain screws... couldnt figure out how to get the switch out, but im sure someone will know

6. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he means they will intermitantly stay on meaning they turn on by themselves when the switch is off. it is a chevy thing a couple of trucks ive had did the same thing along with many other electrical problems. if I remember right from 88 through about 98 had the problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I am refering to, but this is an 84.

Some more input would be nice, I hate to waste money.

7. jedifish

jedifish Registered Member

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gifI have an 84' as well. I was having problems with my blades too. Not the same problems as u. They would come on sometimes and not go on at other times. and would do other weird things. So I went down to autozone and bought a new motor and now they work perfect. $49.95. I dont know if this will help you but it fixed my problem. Plus it's so easy to change.

8. mr_fujisawa

mr_fujisawa 1/2 ton status

i just replace the ignition lock cylinder in my '88 non-tilt. and let me tell you, having the right tools makes pulling the wheel and getting into the column real easy. the lock plate remover tool is the key ingredient. the wiper switch for me was readily accesible after i got the lock plate off.
    good luck
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Get a price from LMC first. I'm sure they're way cheaper than that.

10. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Get a price from LMC first. I'm sure they're way cheaper than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

LMC wants $65.

11. 82diesel

82diesel 1/2 ton status

about once a week at start up mine make a sweep. Did not even use them in a month before hand and they still do.
    Weird