Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wire Brush for a 4" Angle grinder?!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by socal chevy, Jan 24, 2005.

1. socal chevy

socal chevy 1/2 ton status

I have looked EVERYWHERE and I cant freaking find one! The only wire brushes I have seen are for a drill-motor. Where can I find one that will attach and work on my angle grinder?

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

why? drill one works great, faster than that and you will start removing metal and ruining the wire wheel in no time. Get a flapper wheel, its meant to remove small amounts of material, or with heavier grits do things like clean up welds(remove more material).

3. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

yea flap disk's work great

4. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I've seen them at most places that sell welding supplies. Is there a farm supply place around there (IFA, Fleetfarm, Farm and Fleet, Tractor Supply)?

I use both the drill mounted and the wire cup on my grinder. Definately faster and easier to control on the grinder for big areas.

5. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

they make them...

I've bought them at Lowe's and Home Depot--and like the other post said,welding supply stores(they charge more there)--in a pinch I took the gaurd off my 4-1/2 inch grinder and used one designed for a bench grinder with a 1/2 inch hole,had to file it out a hair,as mine had a 14mm spindle(HAD,I need a new grinder now,finally killed it after 5 years of chopping rusty sheet metal and bolts off!--I think I dropped it too many times more than I wore it out!!).
    .I think the next one I get at the "bargain" store for 15 bucks will be the one with a wire brush and a few discs and other goodies in a blister pack( and hopefully it wont have that 14mm wierdo spindle thread--only Bosch grinders used that thread,a pain to find the wire brush for it----the last one I got there was only 9 bucks!!,and it lasted 5 years--for the amount I use one,I cant see buying a 50-75 dollar mikita or dewalt one,if I used it daily I would,but I dont...:crazy: :crazy:

7. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

I got my 4" one at Sears. I had to get an adaptor that they also sell to fit it on my Makita grinder. This thing puts the drill mounted ones to shame! Works great for removing paint from heavy metal parts and cleaning off rust. WEAR GOGGLES!!!! :grin:

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I get my tight knot wire wheel for the angle grinder at the Napa near my work. It is in an industrial district so they carry some industrial stuff like welding supplies and grinding wheels, etc.

The knot wire wheels on a grinder are WICKED!!! :D

Harley

9. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

I prefer a faceshield. These things will stick in your face when they come flying out.

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

another vote for the flapper disc. I had never had one until two weeks ago and damn is it handy. I was stripping all the brackets and stuff off a toy axle housing. Ground all the big stuff off and then cleaned everything up with the flapper. Great of taking off a real small amount of material before priming bare metal. After using one, dont see how I ever got by without it. lol!

j

11. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

The drill motor brushes are Dangerous on a grinder. They are not built or balanced to handle the rpm's of a grinder. I tried that once and got a chest full of wire bristles!! A good hardware store should carry grinder brushes-Makita makes some good ones. I used one of their cup brushes to clean about 300 sqft of concrete floor and it is still in good shape.

12. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

Yup, even better! And I try to not have my face in the same plane as the wheel as well...

13. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

What he said. Safety Glasses under the face shield pleaz. Welder leathers and leather gloves are also a good idea. Don't screw around with those wire brushes, they'll git ya. BT (stuck in me part), DT (pulling them back out)

14. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

A have a fine wire brush for my grinder. I use it to clean differential covers, waterneck outlet on my manifold, the "c" things on my D44 when I did new ball joints, ets... I use mine for a lot of things that would be a real pain with a drill. A fine grit flap disk can really make metal look good, almost like it has been polished.

15. socal chevy

socal chevy 1/2 ton status

anyone have a pick of a flap disc, im confused as too what it looks like....

I got a 4" wire brush, and have cleaned up about 1/2 of the 14b so far. Its hard to reach the small nooks, and crevises. Any hint to get into the tight stops??

16. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

17. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I use both wire and flap disks. It depends on what I am doing.

The wire knot style are the ones to get. The others throw out wire at you and become very unbalanced. My last wire knot wheel lasted through 8 bumpers, 4 axles, 3 cages, 2 pairs of sliders, set of nerf bars and some other little stuff I have done. I love the things

18. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

Mcmaster carr catalog and if ordered in the am will be at your door that evening or the next morning use them at work on a 4" grinder cleaning rust and fiberglass off of molds. Like said use the twisted wire ones those like on a die grinder kill you throwing niddles at you that you pick out of your cloths and self for awhile.