Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wire feed welding/welder questions...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by divorced, Feb 10, 2006.

1. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

So, I've never used a wire feed welder. I can weld real well with a stick though, so does this mean I would probably be able to use a mig?

How do the gas bottle deals work? I can buy or rent? But it's better to buy my own tank? Do I just take it in for a refill? How long will the gas last(hours of welding)? How much $$$ to refill?

Most of the stuff I weld would be 1/4" and 3/16" and sometimes 3/8", but I would occasionaly want to weld body panels or exhaust pipe.

I'm thinking of a Millermatic 175. I can get one locally for $736 including a cart.

Will this welder be good for what I want to do? Is it a fair price?

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig/millermatic_175/

2. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

If you can weld stick youll pick up the mig quicker than most. It helped me. the bottles aorund here are gouing for (to buy)$80 for the 80 cu/ft, $120 for the 120 cu/ft and $150 for the 150. im looking at the 120. not too big, not too small. the refills of Co2/Ar is running about $30 for the 120.

the Miller 175 is Awesome, i wish i had the money at the time or i would have gotten that one..the infinate heat is so much nicer than click,click, click heat. i ended up buying the lincoln 175.

go onto Ebay and do a search of the welder you want and print out a page showing the price (just make sure its new in the box) and take it to your welding supply store, my store was going to price match, si Id give it a try.

hope this helps

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Yep, already checked, and the ebay prices are about the same but don't include a cart. Thanks for the info.

4. ChickenRammit

ChickenRammit 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I Own A Millermatic 175. It Works Really Well You'll Be Very Happy With It. If You Can Run Stick, Then You'll Pick Up The Wire Feed Without Even Trying. You Don't Necessarily Need To Use The Gas. They Make Innershield Welding Wire That Has Flux In The Core Of The Wire. Lincoln Calls Their Innershield Wire "nr-211". I'd Say It Penetrates Better Than Regular Mig Wire.

5. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

i have the millermatic 175 and i love mine aswell. mig welding is the easiest form of welding there is. all you have to do is traverse. with stick you have to traverse and feed inward at the same time. i paid 713.00 for the 175 kit that included the cart. i prefer using gas, less spatter then flux core wire. flux is good for portability and where wind is a issue.

i weld in my garage alot or in the driveway. even with a light breeze you can weld with gas, just try to block as much wind as possible. i have a 150 cubic foot bottle. mine last quit a long time since I bring alot of my weld projects to work and weld them on our shop welder, a lincoln 175 plus. I do this cause i dont have time after work during the week. if 3/8 is your max and its not all the time then a 175 is your best choice for the price, but if you can swing the extra money I would get the 210 miller instead. its just almost double the price though. it will still do thin sheet.

6. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i think im gonna buy a miller 175 soon, every lincoln mig ive used have the same problem, just a very small bit of current is going threw the the gun just after welding. when you get done welding something, move the gun away, then back close again, there is a small spark. does it almost every time, on 3 different lincoln 135 welders. not sure if they were used alot or not.

i have i think the 150 cf tank, its the 2nd biggest i could lease from the local welding shop. i have a lifetime lease on my tank, pay the initial $150 for the tank, $45 to fill it. then when i run out, i go exchange it, no more money to pay for the tank ever. just $45 to fill it every time. i do that with all my tanks for oxy/acc and argon/co2. alot easier than owning the tanks.

7. JeffHK5

JeffHK5 1/2 ton status

I own a Miller 250 , it's bigger than most people need but it's nice to have for a occasional heavy plate job. I can count on one hand how many times I've used more than 50% of the 250's power.

I bought my dad a Miller 175 for Christmas and it is a great machine! You will not be disappointed.

In some states the require a yearly certifacation on tanks which will add a fee of about $25 to the initial cost of around $150 for a 150cf tank of 75/25. The lease , exchange is the way to go, also.

I would say that if your a skilled stick welder you will be welding god with a MIG....:D .

My MIG even makes me look like I know what i'm doing!

Jeff

8. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Thanks everyone for all the info. I think I'm going to get the Miller 175. I'm fairly certain my girlfriend will buy it for me... because she's cool like that. :bow: